Advice on new synth - Yamaha MX vs Roland XP-30

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on new synth - Yamaha MX vs Roland XP-30

Hello,
    I've had a Roland XP-30 for many years, with the Vintage Synth expansion board. I have enjoyed it tremendously however I've never gotten comfortable with the Roland interface; and although I loved the sounds they are starting to sound dated.

I am considering replacing it for a newer synth such as a Yamaha MX 61 or 88. I like the Motif sounds and the simplicity of the keyboard yet there are certain aspects that feel like it's a downgrade (no aftertouch, cheaper build, possibly more limited editing capabilities). I am interested in an updated batch of sounds to re-inspire me and am wondering what you all think of moving to an MX. Budget is a limiting factor, as is my time/ability to learn a more complex synth.

Look forward to your comments and suggestions...

I'd also used an XP-30 for many years, it's been retired from my gig rig for several years and the keyboard that now occupies it's former space is a Korg Krome 61. I've found the Krome to be a great replacement for the XP-30 as a 2nd tier keyboard. It's really lightweight, has a ton more memory/storage (as does any newer keyboard), has an editor program and other similar features of the XP. If you know anything about Korg their program/combination method is similar to Rolands patch/performance methodology.

In the bigger picture I think it's actually hard to go wrong out there today with all the newer keyboards, features haven't changed much but the memory has really improved.
    http://www.crazydeliciousband.com/

Comment

If you can, go visit a music emporium/store and audition some recent synths, especially used in good condition. You might find something you like, and can justify the outlay within your budget.

Comment

Working...
      X