People that think they know our instrument...

• Members

I am subbing in with a band next week and a guy in this particular group, a guitar player proceeded to tell me what I should be using for each song. You should use “Piano here” or said use “organ here”. This guy doesn’t even write the songs. Why is it someone always thinks they know what’s better for keyboard players and don’t know the instrument. If they are credible I will respect an opinion. More often than not it’s someone that doesn’t play piano. I know this just doesn’t happen to me. With guitar centered music you are always playing second best in a band. The level to play out with keyboards and sound decent is so much more than guitar where you can learn a few things and play out.

• Members

I'll tell you what......in this town keyboard players are worth their weight in gold! I told the band I'm in they need to start looking for a replacement back in February and I'm still playing with them! They have a couple more auditions lined up this month so we'll see how that goes but I had agreed to extend to NYE if need be so they could book fall dates. Most bands just make do without keys with varying results. I could basically be in any local band I wanted to but I need a break!

• Members
I am subbing in with a band next week and a guy in this particular group, a guitar player proceeded to tell me what I should be using for each song. You should use “Piano here” or said use “organ here”. This guy doesn’t even write the songs. Why is it someone always thinks they know what’s better for keyboard players and don’t know the instrument. If they are credible I will respect an opinion. More often than not it’s someone that doesn’t play piano. I know this just doesn’t happen to me. With guitar centered music you are always playing second best in a band. The level to play out with keyboards and sound decent is so much more than guitar where you can learn a few things and play out.

If I understand this correctly, he didn't write the songs, but he's played them many times w/this band. He therefore might have a good idea of what works or doesn't work in that regard and it would make sense to take his comments into consideration....which (I think?) you seem to be willing to do, although "if they are credible" is obviously subjective. Also FYI you don't have to play an instrument to have a clue about it (on the other side in fact, I've met my share of people who "played" an instrument and STILL didn't have a clue about it).

• Members

It's just a prevailing attitude I have noticed for the last 25 years. I know I am not the only one that goes through it. Luckily since I posted this we had the first gig of me sitting in and the guy was impressed enough that I am sure he will compromise a little. You are correct I will bend a little also.

• Members

Just because another musician in the band doesn't play a certain instrument doesn't mean they don't know they kinds of sounds they're after, and which kind of instruments make those sounds... on a fairly simple level, that is.

For instance, I sometimes make suggestions to guitar player to make "a more screeching tone" or "we need some soft acoustic strumming here", etc. They don't get insulted. And I can't play guitar to save my life.

A better solution would be for that band member to just give you a recording of the original song, that way you know where the piano and organ sounds belong.

In most of my experiences in bands, they just want a keys player in there, and for the most part they let me choose what kinds of sounds should go where. In a lot of songs where the original recording has no keys, you have to make these decisions mostly by yourself anyway.

• Members

They never had a keyboard player and just last night at rehearsal told me what I was doing was fine. It's just one guy that doesn't' know anything about it. It's OK now as this guy didn't write the songs. I don't take direction from guitar players in terms of my instrument ever.

Archived