Roland JUNO-D arpeggio on external MIDI: is this even possible?

• Members

Hi everybody :)

Here's my setup: I've created a performance for this upcoming gig. Part 1 is some Piano + String in Dual mode, which is going to be a main keyboard part for the song (BTW it's "

", an Italian hit song very popular through Europe some 36 years ago). Part 16 is some Synth Bass, which is going to be played in Arpeggio mode through the whole song.

I've created a dedicated Arpeggio User Template for this bass line, playing 1/12 triplets with +1 octave range, which corresponds to the original song. When it's played from keyboard, everything is OK.

But I've intended something else. Since the keyboard part, which is played with Piano + Strings, is quite busy, I was going to connect my additional MIDI keyboard (CME U-Key 49) to my JUNO-D, set MIDI keyboard to Channel 16, press PHRASE/ARPEGGIO button on JUNO-D, and let bass player play his part on MIDI keyboard, using JUNO-D as a sound module. Everything went smoothly, but when I press aforementioned PHRASE/ARPEGGIO button, nothing happens. The synth bass sound, initiated by MIDI keyboard, is not affected by arpeggio, though the piano+string sound played directly on JUNO-D is.

A while ago I've read an Owner's Manual for Roland RS-5, which is a predecessor to JUNO-D, and that manual explicitly says that RS-5 Arpeggiator does not process external MIDI signal. Is this the same with JUNO-D? The manual is not clear. Or do I miss something?

• Members

Hi. I owned an RS 50 ( East Asia version of RS-5).

​​​​​Do you want to do this?

1. MIDI OUT controller (no arpeggiator)—-> MIDI IN Roland

2. Roland arpeggiator —-> AUDIO OUT (arpeggiated patch)

Maybe this won’t help. The RS-5 could do the opposite.

I used RS-50 as MIDI controller on piano patch in video.

MIDI OUT Roland RS-5 arpeggiator —-> MIDI IN Yamaha module

Yamaha Module —-> AUDIO Out

BTW, I know ELO used an RS-5 keyboard as a sound module in their live rig. The RS keyboards are very under-rated.

[Youtube]gzmrOhLLwaI[/Youtube]

• Members
Hi. I owned an RS 50 ( East Asia version of RS-5).

I think RS-50 is a slightly earlier version of JUNO-D. I own an RS-5 atm, it lacks some features of both RS-50 and JUNO-D.

​​​​​Do you want to do this?

1. MIDI OUT controller (no arpeggiator)—-> MIDI IN Roland

2. Roland arpeggiator —-> AUDIO OUT (arpeggiated patch)

Yes this is what I want. My MIDI keyboard does not have an apreggiator.

• Members

Manual says it's impossible for RS-5. I had a hope that JUNO-D is better in this regard.

Sorry I can't help more. If you had another controller- maybe the bass player could do it on your RS-5.

I wish I still had my RS-9. Fantastic keyboard. The RS-50 helped me on some good recordings too.

Archived