are mini synths or keyboard's keys replaceable with a bigger key?

samal50

• Members

I found a Novation MiniNova at Guitar Center, sold as a display (it is new) but it has 2 or 3 missing/broken keys. I'm sure these could be replaced? Just wondering if I could improvise upon it to replace the keys with something bigger than the one it came with (mini keys). It's going for only $100! Good deal?

I found a Novation MiniNova at Guitar Center, sold as a display (it is new) but it has 2 or 3 missing/broken keys. I'm sure these could be replaced? Just wondering if I could improvise upon it to replace the keys with something bigger than the one it came with (mini keys). It's going for only $100! Good deal?

I wouldn't go for it... about the only way I'd even consider it is if I called Novation and was assured that they'd be willing to sell me replacement parts, and that those parts would make it very easy and affordable to repair it myself. If not, it's not worth the hassle IMO.

I suppose you could always use it with an external keyboard that you connected over MIDI...

• 2 weeks later...
I guess if the MiniNova's "brain" is interesting enough to use as a module for its sound engine, huh?

Yeah - it's a popular synth for sure, and as long as you don't mind using an external keyboard to drive it, I don't see any problems with using it as a oversized synth module.

Archived