Budget Arranger & Workstation - need advice!

• Members

Hello to all of you,

I would be very thankful to get your opinion on my case.

I am not a keyboard player but I am buying an arranger or workstation, depending on what suits my needs better, but I don't want to spend a lot of money since it is not my main interest.

I am tired of turning my pc on, opening the daw and loading samples and instruments into it so I just want to have a keyboard I can simply turn on and record my idea into it as a demo.

I found a lot of products but the real question is - which arranger or workstation under... let's say 600 dollars gives the possibility to record more than 6 tracks? (that's the limit for some entry level Yamaha and Kurzweil arrangers)

Hope you can help me.

Cheers!

• Members

I think before opening it to suggestions, you may want to narrow it down to arranger, or workstation. As you know, both have pros and cons: I'm generalizing a bit, but let's say the arranger has usually automated styles / rhythms / patterns, and less sound editing facilities - while the workstation is usually a more conventional synthesizer, with added sequencer facility, fx, storage etc. Do you need the accompaniment? Since you write "I just want to have a keyboard I can simply turn on and record my idea into it", my first impression is that you're aiming at a workstation?

Also, is used okay?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I need your advice too folks, so here I go.

I've been playing guitar and bass guitar for more than 20 years but only at home as a hobby. I've been also using Band in a Box along with Garageband for several years, to make backing tracks for me to play or to sing with, using my iMac24 keyboard as a keystation.

I was going to buy something like a M-Audio Keystation to make it easy, when I saw a Yamaha PSR EW400 (365 euros) in action...............there was a full band but just one guy playing the piano folks! I got amazed.

I gotta admit I don't know how to play piano at all

The keystation means that everything is gonna be the same only that recording is gonna be easier and much more comfortable.

On the other hand, the Yamaha promises a amazing world of adventures that seduces me a lot, but I'm afraid my lack of piano tuition could mean I'm throwing away my money.

I've also seek for second hand stuff but all I've found is 10 y/o very nice Yamaha devices but at 230/260 euros....

GAS is killing me.......hardly!

Any input would be highly aprecciated

Thanks in advance folks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
the real question is - which arranger or workstation under... let's say 600 dollars gives the possibility to record more than 6 tracks? (that's the limit for some entry level Yamaha and Kurzweil arrangers)!
Can't speak to specific models offhand, but you can find all that info on the internet (sorry I know that doesn't help)....I guess my question is why do you need more than 6 tracks? It sounds like you just want something to record some ideas. You can do that with most inexpensive arrangers or workstations, then load those ideas into your DAW to further mess with (and use more than 6 tracks in total).

More generally, I think Paolo gave a good recap on arranger vs workstation. I think a lot of this depends on what kind of music you're doing. If the music will be mostly "electronica" (so-called "EDM" or "trance" etc), a workstation/synth might be better as you can better create and/or play a lot of those kind of musical phrases on command.s the answer. If not an arranger is probably the better bet, as it has a lot of built-in backing rhythm tracks (more traditional/acoustic) etc you can play with the push of a button.

For specific models, again, plenty of info online at places like Sweetwater, Guitar Center, etc.

• Members

I gotta admit I don't know how to play piano at all

The keystation means that everything is gonna be the same only that recording is gonna be easier and much more comfortable.

I'm missing something. If you don't know how to play keys at all, why will getting a keyboard make it easier? Seems to me BIAB would be much easier.

Archived