Nord Piano vs Roland RD-700gx

• Members

What I basically want is the best piano that I can carry around for gigging purposes. I play a mixture of classical, pop and folk piano so I need some good crisp grand piano sounds as well as more warm ones with depth. I have been happy carrying a Technics weighing 16kg but found my RD-150 too heavy at 22.5kg. However, maybe I just need a wheeled case. Anyway...

Nord Piano

pros

- awesome selection of realistic piano sounds including models from Steinway, Yamaha and Bosendorfer

- ability to download more programs as they become available

- lightweight but solid construction (only 18kg: the lightest hammer action pro keyboard with internal power supply)

- cool, red Nord design and the kudos that goes with it

cons

- no ability to seperate sounds into zones and for that matter, only piano/keyboard sounds available

- questionable key action for piano purposes (medium weighted hammer as opposed to ivory touch fully weighted keys etc)

Roland RD-700gx

pros

- ivory touch piano action

- customisable piano sounds (hammer noise etc)

- broad selection of quality "other" sounds

- expansion slots

- ability to split and layer with overlapping zones

- built in usb thumb drive slot (a nice extra for saving setups)

cons

- piano sounds not as good as Nord in my opinion and they lack the variety of Nord's piano selection

- too heavy at 25kg

- too "Roland". Totally lacking the kudos of the Nord

So, the Roland certainly has the greater feature set and that wonderful key action. However, the Nord has the awesome piano sounds, portability and that unmistakably cool design.

Anything else crucial that I have missed out? I would appreciate hearing what you personally would rather have and also what you think would be better suited to me, given my needs. Thanks

• Members

I don't have a lot of the experience with the Nord, but your observations match what I've heard about its pros and cons--especially its action.

Your criticisms of the piano sounds on the GX have been mirrored by many, but some folks think the piano sounds are fine. One thing you may want to explore further, which was discussed in a thread here a couple days ago, is the new piano sound patches that Roland is about to release, which can be installed into the GX. You might want to reserve judgment on the GX until you've had a chance to check out the new sounds.

• Members

Despite not having the customizer features of the RD, the Nord pianos really are great. The only thing that the Piano 88 seems to miss is the piano unison (honky tonk) function found in the Stage EX. It should have a dedicated knob for adding specific amounts of unison, thus letting the user add just tiny bits of out-of-tune-ness to the grand pianos, adding to the character of the instruments. Oh yea, and a more pianistic action.

No Bosendorfer samples from Nord, but for your purposes the absolutely fantastic upright samples (a huge bunch is on the way as we speak) may be a real treat - clunky and uneven yet full sounding with plenty of characteristics that the grands do not have.

And as you mentioned, the RD isn't exactly portable - this certainly wouldn't be my preferred gigging solution. IMO, if you can get on with the Nord action it's a great option, but if you are only just able to live with it, better go for something else. Maybe waiting for the 12kg Numa Nano controller or getting a Casio and coupling one of these with a sound module might be another option?

• Members

They STILL don't have any info about the Nord Piano and it's polyphony. If it's the same as the Stage EX, which according to Nord's specifications is the vague "40-60 Voices", this may not be enough as far as I'm concerned. I've heard drop-off in the past using 64 voice pianos on certain songs.

Certainly it may be enough for most things. But you should add to the "pros" of the 700-GX that it has 128 voice polyphony.

• Members

in the RD series ,, you might want to play the RD300gx. It doesnt have as many sounds , but its lighter. More of a stripped down stage piano. cheaper. Gets the job done. I have the RD300sx. Its action is a little lighter than the 300gx ... play a bunch of stuff ,, you will find one you want. I guess it all depends on what you really need done. I like the simple not alot of frills of my RD300sx ,,, and its light weight. Its bone head simple to get the basic sounds on. I am sure if you start nit picking people can find somthing they dont like about it..... but i am not a real wonk on that stuff ,, I just need an instrument that will hold up to one nighter gigs and get the job done. i have been happy with it ,, owned it three years.

• Members

They STILL don't have any info about the Nord Piano and it's polyphony. If it's the same as the Stage EX, which according to Nord's specifications is the vague "40-60 Voices", this may not be enough as far as I'm concerned. I've heard drop-off in the past using 64 voice pianos on certain songs.

Certainly it may be enough for most things. But you should add to the "pros" of the 700-GX that it has 128 voice polyphony.

Yeah, but a 64 voice board that uses stereo samples reduces the poly to 32. I think, but don't know for sure, that the 40-60 poly in the Nords is true polyphony. I never had a note dropping off in the Electro 2 rack I had, and I would think that the Stage has more poly.

• Members

I thing that the Nord Stage EX looks really cool but I have never had the opportunity to play one. The RD700GX is a great board but not mind-blowing in the synth area - not really designed for that anyway. I like mine very much; I use it for practice and enjoy the acoustic pianos, EP's, and tonewheel organs.

Edit - some cool introductory videos to the nord pianos are here. I think that the main reason why I like the videos are the organ and EP sounds.

• Members

Another Nord user here pointing out that polyphony is indeed not a problem. At least, I've never encountered note stealing anyway - except when I put both my arms across the keyboard and pressed as many keys as possible... but honestly, how often do we use that? :)

To me the only advantage of the RD is the keybed. But again, that keybed is absolutely amazing - every time I sit down and play it, I think I'm dreaming.

• Members

I have had an RD700GX for over a year now and have been very pleased with it. There has been a lot of talk about the stock Roland Piano sounds being - well shall we say 'lacklustre'.

I honestly don't know what they are talking about. Before I bought the GX I tried out all the major competitors, and spent a lot of time with the Nord Stage (the EX model wasn't out then).

(Be aware that with any keyboard the amplification can make a huge difference. At home I run my keyboards through a nice pair of studio monitors.)

I thought the Nord was a great bit of kit, but the keybed was - shall we say 'not good' if you want a piano. The GX gave me a connection with the instrument that was lacking with the Nord. I also thought the Roland was the most natural sounding - it wasn't too bright, which many other brands seem to do. I think it's similar to shops that show plasma TV's with the colour and contrast set too high - looks good in a superficial way.

Actually playing the keyboard on the GX is a real pleasure. However, last week a nice man delivered the new Supernatural Piano Kit to my door.

I was real happy with the stock sounds, but the new board brings thing on even further. And if you like those overly bright piano's that 'cut through the mix' you are also well provided for. If you can't get to play a GX with the upgrade board try a Roland HP307 as most places seem to have one of those.

I would say that it's not a lot of fun lugging the bloody thing about though. :mad:

If you are going to drop this amount of cash on a keyboard, you simply must audition them both - and then this is the important bit - trust your own ears rather than what 'the word on the street' is.

If I were buying now I would be waiting for the new Yamaha CP's that are coming soon.

(Played a Korg SV-1 the other day - rather liked it but wouldn't buy one.)

Enjoy you new keyboard - whatever colour it is !

Mike

• Members

in the RD series ,, you might want to play the RD300gx. It doesnt have as many sounds , but its lighter. More of a stripped down stage piano. cheaper. Gets the job done. I have the RD300sx. Its action is a little lighter than the 300gx ... play a bunch of stuff ,, you will find one you want. I guess it all depends on what you really need done. I like the simple not alot of frills of my RD300sx ,,, and its light weight. Its bone head simple to get the basic sounds on. I am sure if you start nit picking people can find somthing they dont like about it..... but i am not a real wonk on that stuff ,, I just need an instrument that will hold up to one nighter gigs and get the job done. i have been happy with it ,, owned it three years.

Does the Roland RD 300sx have tone wheel organs and the ability to layer and split ? How are the pianos and Wurlitzer's ?

I noticed it's priced reasonably unlike the Nord and RD700

• Members

As I've said before in regards to the Nord Piano in other threads is the reason I'd like to know more about the polyphony is more about what it will say about what engine is inside of it. If it's indeed the "40-60 Voices" as the Stage EX is, then that is a strong indication that this is just a repackaged Stage with the organ and VA taken out of it...which it pretty much is when it's all said and done.

Just was hoping they were going to bring something actually "new" out. But Nord is known for milking the most out of their hardware as far as they can go. I mean, for instance it's 2010 and they STILL can't do MIDI over USB yet, even though they have a USB connection, it's only for OS upgrades and loading sounds on and off. They've said in the past they can't just do an OS upgrade to enable MIDI over USB...and since the new boards are still like that, that again shows they're using their old designs and parts in the "new" instruments.

Not that it's a bad thing mind you....it's a way for them to save money and it's more efficient for them I'm sure.

• Members

Does the Roland RD 300sx have tone wheel organs and the ability to layer and split ? How are the pianos and Wurlitzer's ?

I noticed it's priced reasonably unlike the Nord and RD700

Its not real complex , you an split the board and layer if i recall , however to be real honest I am pretty well just a straight up player and dont use alot of that type of stuff. The organ 3 on the sx is a percussion organ and thats what I use for the B3. i use organ 6 too. the rhodes i use is electric piano 1 ,, clav is EP 6. The piano is decent , typically I just use piano 1. The GX300 is the new model that replaced the one I have. The best suggestion I would have is to go play one. when it comes to boards there are so many things that are basically just the opinon of the player. I liked the action and how expressive it allowed me to get. Its action is lighter than a real piano and no doubt not the best if you are looking for a real piano feel ,, but it being light also makes it nice for organ. Its a good gig board for a guy who is looking for a quick and dirty easy way to get the classic sounds a player kind of guy needs. If you like to really fine tune stuff ,, i am sure there are better stuff out there. Its a good light workhorse board that wont break the bank with out alot of frills. For what I do,,, its great. for what others might do or want it may not be all that. The guys in the band like how it sounds. Its a step down from the flag ship 700. I would call it a pro level board if your deal is easy ways to get the sounds you will use in old rock, country , blues and your basic moose rock type gig. for a guy thats into synth and tech type stuff and likes to twiddle and tweek ,,, I think you might come up a little short. Its best feature is simple ways to get classic key sounds. Good geezer band keyboard.

• Members

Thanks for all the great replies. I have tried out the GX and I have tried out the Nord Stage. Need to try and find a Nord Piano to try out. When playing the GX, I loved the action but was not blown away with the sounds, and I knew that it would be a total pain to carry around. The Nord is only marginally heavier than what I currently play and the selection of pianos is a real plus. I think I am veering towards the Nord. Best UK price I've seen is

• Members

that is a strong indication that this is just a repackaged Stage with the organ and VA taken out of it.

I think it isn't. Sadly.

I've wondered why there wasn't a delay in the Electro 3, given that it's supposed to be the ultimate vintage keyboard emulator, and a delay is very often used on Rhodes'. I suggested to Nord that they should consider including the delay found in the Stage in the Piano. They couldn't, they said, as it would take up too much CPU. The Stage, on the other hand, handles a delay perfectly well.

Archived