Why do headphones have left and right?

• Members

Does it matter if you wear them "backwards"

Do recording artists specifically make right and left sounds according to how our brains work?

I can understand that the western brain kind of works "left to right", since that is the way we read, but if music is written to suit that, then what about all the Asian "right to left" listeners?

• Members

Let's say you watch a movie in headphones and there's a car passing by from left to right. Would it feel ok to you if the car sound moved from right to left?

Just remember, that music is not the only kind of sound production.

• Members

Let's say you watch a movie in headphones and there's a car passing by from left to right. Would it feel ok to you if the car sound moved from right to left?

Just remember, that music is not the only kind of sound production.

As per above point......

But oh I see your point....so you're saying it's only left/right because sometimes there is video as well?

• Members

Do recording artists specifically make right and left sounds according to how our brains work?

I can understand that the western brain kind of works "left to right", since that is the way we read, but if music is written to suit that, then what about all the Asian "right to left" listeners?

Hey buddy!

How are you doing?

:)

:wave:

• Members

Drum kits are an example within music that might help. It is common to pan them within the soundfield from a drummer's perspective (with modifications of course). But as long as they sit within the mix it really doesn't matter if they are panned with a drummer's, stage or whatever other perspective you want.

Perhaps if you are listening to an audiobook you might find it strange if the reader's voice moves from right to left instead of the standard left to right.:)

• Members

Personally, I prefer to listen to music with the L/R orientation as intended by the producer/engineer/artist. There may not be a "right way" or a "wrong way" but I want to hear the music the way the artist(s) intended me to hear it.

Take the first Van Halen album for example - Eddie's guitar is panned pretty far to the left. Perhaps that's because when the band played live, that's where he stood. I don't know. But if I accidentally put my headphones on backwards and his guitar is on the right, it sounds weird.

This is an extreme example, but if the left and right are reversed somehow I usually notice it immediately when listening to any song I am familiar with.

This doesn't mean everyone has to care - you can put on your headphones anyway you please.

• Members

I understand with video, then the vision must relate to the audio, eg a car driving from left to right....but that was my point. With just music, there may be no reason to have a right/left distinction.

Symphonic music: first fiddles on the left.

• Members

When you are working on music production, it would be very annoying to attempt to pan something left and hear it pan right on your headphones - or on regular monitors for that matter.

There is also the practical consideration that our heads are not symmetrical front-to-back, so headphones are designed ergonomically so that they will fit on the average person's head, but they only fit in one orientation - they will be uncomfortable if put on backwards. My MDR-7506s are like this. On the other hand, I have DT-990s which are symmetrical, so care must be taken with those to put them on with the right orientation.

• Members

so you're saying it's only left/right because sometimes there is video as well?

Well, sure. People watch videos on their iPods.

But if you're going to have two tracks you have to set a standard for everyone to adhere to. Or else we couldn't say things like "what synth did Band X use on Song Y? It can be heard at 1:42, panned hard LEFT".

Also, there are stereo mic techniques. Even binaural ones, in the shape of a human head with two microphones where the ears should be, and they are meant to be listened to on headphones.

• Members

Yep. Great example. If you're used to listening to live orchestral music, you really do want to hear the first violins on the left or the cello soli on the right.

Jazz bands another good example. I'm very used to seeing and hearing the drums and piano panned a little to the left (as I look at the stage) because that's the way they usually set up.

So many other great answers, tho. Never would have occurred to me that the cord is on the left because most people are right handed.

• Members

Best example I can think of. Any live acoustic type recordings (eg no close mics), which would be most symphonic work, need the proper L-R balance to sound as it would be intended.

I think it matters less in pop music to a degree, but it's good to have a proper panning so you hear what the producer was intending.

(Although the drums example was good... most modern pop mic drums like the drummer would hear them. For most drummers, the hi-hat is going to be on the left side of the kit... so on most recordings, you're going to hear the hi-hat left panned.)

• Members

Back in the early days of live music. Each instrument had a specific location on stage. If the player moved around and played a trumpet, the sound would move around with him. If was a 70's garage band, the bass player, each guitarist, the drummer, and singer if had one, also had a place in the sound field. For the guitar and bass this was the amp;/cab location and the drums radiated sound from where they where. Stereo lets one recreate this soundstage.

Archived