Now Behringer is setting their sights on cloning a...

Phil O'Keefe

...vintage Obie - the OB-Xa. The Behringer version will be called the UB-Xa.

No word on when it will be ready (I'd bet on it being at least a year from now, if the time it took from the Model D's announcement until it shipped is any indication), how many voices it will have or what it will cost yet.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"ub-xa_p0xxx_top-front.jpg?quality=82&strip=all&strip=all.jpg","data-attachmentid":32142322}[/ATTACH]

https://9to5mac.com/2018/01/14/logic-pro-new-ios-mac-plugins-instruments/

• Members
I hadn't heard about the Solina - that would be really cool if they remade that classic string synth!

Oh yeah!

It was on the Behringer facebook page. Uli asked if a desktop version of the Solina would be okay.

If you see him, put a bug in his ear. :philthumb:

• Members
I think a desktop Solina is the ONLY way to go - I wouldn't be interested in a reissue of the full-sized keyboard, but in module form it would be very tempting...

If possible, please use your massive influence to convey that very popular sentiment to the good folks at Behringer if you get a chance to see them at NAMM.

This is from The Behringer FB page:

Solina%20Behringer.png

You sound like you've owned a Solina, so you know. I had one too, a real beast. Weighed a ton, and a huge space eater. All for that one sound (which of course is brilliant), and often just one high note in the chorus...lol

IMHO the best hardware string machine on the market now/today is the VP-03 Boutique series, which you don't often hear about because it's primarily a vocoder, but for me, it blows the Streichfett out of the water. Hopefully, with Behringer's VP-340, and possibly a Solina clone, this will change within the next couple of years.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","data-tempid":"temp_130482_1516292684657_177","title":"Behringer VP340"}[/ATTACH][img2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/www.harmonycentral.com\/forum\/core\/image\/gif;base64,R0lGODlhAQABAPABAP\/\/\/wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw=="}[/img2]​

Behringher VP340

http://www.musicradar.com/news/behringer-finally-unveils-its-version-of-the-roland-vp-330-the-vc340

If possible, please use your massive influence...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks - that's the best belly laugh I've had all week! :D

I actually reached out to Uli via LinkedIn right after I learned about the Behringer D and asked if we could get HC added to their press release distribution list, and mentioned I would love to do a review of it. He's always been quite nice to me, but his reply skipped over my suggestion about us reviewing it and only mentioned that they don't really "do" press releases, just social media. I guess if I want to keep up with what they have coming out I either have to check other sites, or keep my eye on Facebook. :idk::(

You sound like you've owned a Solina, so you know. I had one too, a real beast.

Nope, I've never actually owned one personally, but I've been around them and I know they're beasts, and as cool as they sound, I'd personally rather not have to dedicate that much physical studio space to a string synth.

IMHO the best hardware string machine on the market now/today is the VP-03 Boutique series, which you don't often hear about because it's primarily a vocoder, but for me, it blows the Streichfett out of the water. Hopefully, with Behringer's VP-340, and possibly a Solina clone, this will change within the next couple of years.

I tried the VP-03 at NAMM briefly last year, but I was spent too much of my time with the TR-09 to really give it a fair listen. I think you're right - everyone looks on it more as a vocoder and many people tend to overlook the string synth features.

I listened to some of the Streichfett demos thinking that if I liked it I'd be really tempted to pick one up (I love how small it is), but it really just didn't do it for me in terms of the sounds. I guess I listened to too many 70s era records and I have that Solina / ARP Omni sound permanently etched into my brain as being what a good "string synth" should sound like. To my ears, the Waldorf doesn't really give you the same thing - at least it didn't in the demos I listened to.

• Members

I listened to some of the Streichfett demos thinking that if I liked it I'd be really tempted to pick one up (I love how small it is), but it really just didn't do it for me in terms of the sounds. I guess I listened to too many 70s era records and I have that Solina / ARP Omni sound permanently etched into my brain as being what a good "string synth" should sound like. To my ears, the Waldorf doesn't really give you the same thing - at least it didn't in the demos I listened to.

+1

Archived