Getting a Mac, Going Firewire. Need a interface! : )

Faldoe

• Members

I'm currently using a E-MU 0404 usb and using a PC laptop. I'm getting a Mac so I want to go Firewire. I don't need a lot of Ins - maybe 4. I need at least 4 outs. Midi of course. Good preamps and reliability are a must. I'd like keep it under $500 if possible.

I'm currently using a E-MU 0404 usb and using a PC laptop. I'm getting a Mac so I want to go Firewire. I don't need a lot of Ins - maybe 4. I need at least 4 outs. Midi of course. Good preamps and reliability are a must. I'd like keep it under $500 if possible.

You can use an USB 2.0 interface. For 4 x 4 they are pretty much reliable too.

Many in here will throw {censored} on me, but given my job and experience, I'd dare to say, yes.

I'm a FireWire dude, too, but that does not mean USB 2.0 for low channel counts is not as reliable as FireWire. I'm currently working with a USB 2.0 interface, zero problems.

• Members

i have a firebox as well, and like it well enough. things i dont like:

the global phantom switch - when recording guitars especially i like to use a dynamic and a condensor

lack of input gain - they released an app that lets you hit a little checkbox for +12 db more, but that should already be on the pre.

software mixer works a little weird.

other than that, i like it a lot. it sounds good. i went from the tascam us122 mk1 , to a TCKonnekt24 briefly, to this box as my mobile recording interface. i certainly dont shy away from using it for finished tracks. its survived me hauling it all over creation in my RAID pack along with the monomachine, powerbook and mics and hasnt stopped working yet.

that's saying something, im not exactly easy on my gear.

• Members

Had a M-Audio FW410, which I liked, but it kept locking up on my Macbookpro and then on my iMac. Went to an Edirol M16DX (USB) and could not be happier. The USB interfaces have come a long, long way and rival FW interfaces, especially when it comes to playing nice with other devices on the bus. I use the FW ports for my external drives, and all is good.

• Members

I have a Focusrite Saffire LE plugged into my iMac Quad Core i5 and its a great sounding and good MIDI firewire audio interface. Only problem I have with it is that it takes ages to switch on when I boot my Mac.

If you are buying a brand new Mac then I suggest that you invest in a Firewire 800 to 400 adaptor because the new Macs use only Firewire 800 which has a different port to Firewire 400.

Art

• Members

how are the preamps on the firebox? clean?

They are as clean as they can be for the price point.

Particularly the high end can be a bit harsh, it depends on the input.

I'm using an MXL V69 tube mic and while the mic can be harsh

in the upper end you can't tell from my recordings.

If you want to hear some piano/singing using a Firebox just let me know.

I can point you to a couple of tracks. They sound pretty pro for such a cheap

interface.

The Presonus Firestudio mobile is much better and has a higher

S/N.

• Members

They are as clean as they can be for the price point.

Particularly the high end can be a bit harsh, it depends on the input.

I'm using an MXL V69 tube mic and while the mic can be harsh

in the upper end you can't tell from my recordings.

this is what i've found as well. a little gain reduction in the upper frequency bands is often called for, depending on your vocal type. with me, i'm usually fine without due to my sonorous man-voice.

with electric guitar, micing the amp from a distance of 2-3 feet with an LD 'transistor' type condensor mic ( mk219, mk319, akg c3000 and c1000 so far) i find the raw sound to be a little on the harsh side.

i'm going to throw out some examples here in a second, let me get them mixed down.

as with anything, though, the mission drives the gear train. there is better gear at a higher pricepoint, but there are other factors to consider other than audio quality. i've found the firebox to be ideal for many recording situations.

• Members

http://soundcloud.com/donaldcrunk/firebox-guitar-condensor

http://soundcloud.com/donaldcrunk/firebox-guitar-dynamic

this is the same moment in time as interpreted by two seperate microphones, each feeding the firebox.

no sassing me about my guitaring, i'm not a guitar player. the clipping comes from the amp itself, not the pres of the firebrax

i actually found the dynamic mic'd track to fit better in the mix of the song these recordings are intended for, so it was emphasized more in the mix - though the track recorded by the condensor mic is certainly more pleasant to listen to alamode.

Archived