Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting a Mac, Going Firewire. Need a interface! : )

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a Mac, Going Firewire. Need a interface! : )

I'm currently using a E-MU 0404 usb and using a PC laptop. I'm getting a Mac so I want to go Firewire. I don't need a lot of Ins - maybe 4. I need at least 4 outs. Midi of course. Good preamps and reliability are a must. I'd like keep it under $500 if possible.
    Decolonize

You can have my FW-1884 for $450 + shipping from Seattle. It's in great shape and works perfectly with my Mac Pro. I'm not using all the I/O and should downsize.

Let me know!
    Josh

Comment

Presonus FireBOX? I had one for a while that worked swimmingly, but I needed more inputs.
      Hurrr. Derp, derp, derp.

Comment

I love my Presonus FireSTUDIO Project:

HI I AM JONATHAN TAYLOR THOMAS YOU MAY REMEMBER ME FROM TV'S HOME IMPROVEMENT I AM HERE TO **************** UP YOUR DAY LOLROFLOMGIDKMYBFFJILL/ROSEBBQ

I AM SUPER-SERIOUS.

I SOLD MY GEAR DON'T CARE YOU DIDN'T BUY - GO LOCAL & ORGANIC H8 U GUYZ

Comment

how are the preamps on the firebox? clean?
          Decolonize

Comment

FWIW, I also have a Firebox, and it's noisy. Made me hook the big Tascam back up. I may try to pick up a MOTU 828 mkIII when YOU BUY MY FW-1884.
            Josh

Comment

Focusrite Pro 40
              -----------------Mike PensiniPiano/Keyboard/Producer/Musical Director/Writertwitter.com/mikepensini | facebook.com/mikepensinimusic | youtube.com/groovatious

Comment

Your FireBOX was noisy, J05H? I didn't have any complaints with mine.
                Hurrr. Derp, derp, derp.

Comment

My Firebox is as clean as a whistle. Works really good with my iMac. Couldn/t be happier.

Comment

EP & Solomon, are you guys using bus power? In my desire to have a less cluttered studio I haven't used the Firebox's power supply.
                    Josh

Comment

Chalk up another clean sounding Presonus Firebox here.
                      http://www.soundclick.com/bands/JohnBenussi

Formerly known as Johnny_B

Comment

I'm currently using a E-MU 0404 usb and using a PC laptop. I'm getting a Mac so I want to go Firewire. I don't need a lot of Ins - maybe 4. I need at least 4 outs. Midi of course. Good preamps and reliability are a must. I'd like keep it under $500 if possible.

You can use an USB 2.0 interface. For 4 x 4 they are pretty much reliable too.
                        www.guslozada.com

Comment

on par with firewire?
                          Decolonize

Comment

Many in here will throw **************** on me, but given my job and experience, I'd dare to say, yes.

I'm a FireWire dude, too, but that does not mean USB 2.0 for low channel counts is not as reliable as FireWire. I'm currently working with a USB 2.0 interface, zero problems.
                            www.guslozada.com

Comment

i have a firebox as well, and like it well enough. things i dont like:

the global phantom switch - when recording guitars especially i like to use a dynamic and a condensor

lack of input gain - they released an app that lets you hit a little checkbox for +12 db more, but that should already be on the pre.

software mixer works a little weird.

other than that, i like it a lot. it sounds good. i went from the tascam us122 mk1 , to a TCKonnekt24 briefly, to this box as my mobile recording interface. i certainly dont shy away from using it for finished tracks. its survived me hauling it all over creation in my RAID pack along with the monomachine, powerbook and mics and hasnt stopped working yet.

that's saying something, im not exactly easy on my gear.
                              -jason

youtube
                              bandcamp
                              soundcloud

Comment

Working...
                              X