Synths that sit well in the mix with a K2661

• Members

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone can point me to synths that sit well in the mix with a K2661. I find that my old Nord Micro Modular gels quite nicely whereas the Access Virus did not. I'd like to expand my arsenal a bit but would like to keep my K2661 at the heart of it.

Thanks.

• Members

Hi billybingo,

Why do you say that the k2661 does not mix well with the Virus?. I have a k2661 and a Virus since a couple of days ago, but i haven tried to mix them yet. Any theory or explanation to this?.

Also, I would like to know what sonority are you exactly looking for, because, for example, maybe the combination between the k2661+Virus sound too dark cause of their oscilators and you want something clearer, so in that case a digital synth with clearer sound would be your best choise like Korg R3, etc, etc.etc

BTW the k2661 is a great synth!

Reptilian

• Members

First I should say that I am making ambient (somewhat cinematic) that leans towards moody deep house.

With the Virus TI I found that its sound was too coloured to blend well with the K2661. Better with the on-board effects turned off. It was great for a threatening feel. Someone else has mentioned that I should learn to mix properly with EQs, Compression etc. This is a fair point.

I like the suggestion of the Blofeld and the Nord Lead 2x. I had thought about the Motif XS rack but I only want another module for non-realistic sounds. I am happy with the K2661 for pianos, strings etc.

• Members

I also have a K2661.

I think you'll like the Nord Lead 2x, not just because it sounds good, but also because the knobs offer a quicker, more intuitive manner of programming, which contrasts nicely with the heavy menu-driven programming of the K2661.

Not that menu programming is bad on the K2661, its just that after having your head in the VAST nebula for a while, making changes on the fly is a welcome relief.

BTW, I actually don't have a Lead 2x. I have an Alesis Ion. Folks usually get one or the other, and I had the opportunity to get one cheap, so I did. But I like both and recommend both.

• Members

Current thinking: start with the Blofeld then follow with the Nord Lead 2X. The Radias is a bit of jump up in price for me at the moment..maybe later. What's a Mini D?

The Blofeld as far I know is better and more powerful as synth than the Nord Lead 2x, which is limited as I readed here from a guy that programs very good patches IMO:

Nord Lead 2X review (videos at the bottom)

http://jexus.id.uw.edu.pl/syntezatory_prv_pl/clavia_nord_lead_2x.htm

Waldorf Blofeld review (videos at the bottom)

http://jexus.id.uw.edu.pl/syntezatory_prv_pl/waldorf_blofeld.htm

:thu:

• Members

Personally, I like the sound of the Nord Leads better than the Blofeld. The Blofeld is indeed a deeper synth, but the NL is easier to tweak because of the knobs. Blofeld is still very easy to tweak for a synth with only 6 knobs though. It all comes down to preference in the end.

Also, I really don't get the jexus hype. I haven't heard one patch he made that I like..

• Members

I don't know of any workstation that doesn't play well with a Nord Lead 2X. The thing is used from Rap to Jazz. The only genre I haven't seen it used in is country.

The Blofeld is another winner. The feature set makes it a pretty versatile synth. The latest OS greatly improves its' usefulness.

• Members

Personally, I like the sound of the Nord Leads better than the Blofeld. The Blofeld is indeed a deeper synth, but the NL is easier to tweak because of the knobs. Blofeld is still very easy to tweak for a synth with only 6 knobs though. It all comes down to preference in the end.

Also, I really don't get the jexus hype. I haven't heard one patch he made that I like..

Well, if you like the sounds of jexus or not is a matter of tastes, same of the sound of the Blofeld VS the NL2X as you wisely said. What I wanted to show is that Blofeld is a deeper synth, which could be important for a person who look to create his own sounds. I like NL2X BTW :thu:

ps: I read you have a Korg Tr rack. Since I will receive one this week, I wwould like to know: whats your opinion about it?, is it exactly the same than a Trinity Plus in sound quality, for example?, its just for curiosity... if I am disrupting this topic, I am sorry :thu:

• Members

ps: I read you have a Korg Tr rack. Since I will receive one this week, I wwould like to know: whats your opinion about it?, is it exactly the same than a Trinity Plus in sound quality, for example?, its just for curiosity... if I am disrupting this topic, I am sorry
:thu:

I just got the Trinity yesterday, but I can say that they sound pretty much the same. I believe the TR-rack has some extra samples in it and has two more soundbanks. Both synths are awesome, but I got the Trinity because of the extra keys (I can always use those) and programability. The TR has very limited editing options and it is a pain to program with that screen.

All in all, they sound awesome. Check synthmania for demos on the TR:

http://synthmania.com/TR-Rack.htm

• Members

Very cool actually, thanks for the link!. I bought the Tr rack in order to get the Korg sonority and use it with my Virus.

Well, back into the topic: have you checked the Korg R3?, I have a friend that likes it... he sent me a demo and it sounds pretty good, better than what I expected. Just in case.:thu:

Archived