Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Synths that sit well in the mix with a K2661

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone can point me to synths that sit well in the mix with a K2661. I find that my old Nord Micro Modular gels quite nicely whereas the Access Virus did not. I'd like to expand my arsenal a bit but would like to keep my K2661 at the heart of it.

Thanks.

What kind of music are you making?
    Kronos, Fant.G8, PC3X, K2500RS, A6, Q, M3-61, Fant.X7, Motif 8, EX5(x2), V-Synth, K2000(x2), D50, JD800, JD990, JP8080, XP30, MC909, MC505, JX-10, JX-305, TR-707, Juno 1, DR-202, Radias, Triton Pro, Wavest. SR, EMX1, ESX1, ER-1, EA-1, R3, Poly 800, RS7000, FS1R (x2), RM1X, AN200, DX200, QY70, QY100, K5000S, OB-12, Maschine,ASR10,ASR88,ASR-X Pro, EPS,Virus B, Equinox,E-Mu XL-7,MiniAK, Synthstation,X-Station, XioSynth,TG33,Venom,V50,UltraNova,Z1,Spark,Moog LP Stage II, JP8000,Tetra,Supernova 2.

Comment

I know my Nord Lead 2x gels incredibly well with my PC3x. So did the Blofeld when I had it. I loved to layer Sloquadrapad on the PC3x with the Blofeld's 50's pad. Lovely.

Comment

Hi billybingo,

Why do you say that the k2661 does not mix well with the Virus?. I have a k2661 and a Virus since a couple of days ago, but i haven tried to mix them yet. Any theory or explanation to this?.

Also, I would like to know what sonority are you exactly looking for, because, for example, maybe the combination between the k2661+Virus sound too dark cause of their oscilators and you want something clearer, so in that case a digital synth with clearer sound would be your best choise like Korg R3, etc, etc.etc

BTW the k2661 is a great synth!

Reptilian

Comment

First I should say that I am making ambient (somewhat cinematic) that leans towards moody deep house.

With the Virus TI I found that its sound was too coloured to blend well with the K2661. Better with the on-board effects turned off. It was great for a threatening feel. Someone else has mentioned that I should learn to mix properly with EQs, Compression etc. This is a fair point.

I like the suggestion of the Blofeld and the Nord Lead 2x. I had thought about the Motif XS rack but I only want another module for non-realistic sounds. I am happy with the K2661 for pianos, strings etc.

Comment

I also have a K2661.

I think you'll like the Nord Lead 2x, not just because it sounds good, but also because the knobs offer a quicker, more intuitive manner of programming, which contrasts nicely with the heavy menu-driven programming of the K2661.

Not that menu programming is bad on the K2661, its just that after having your head in the VAST nebula for a while, making changes on the fly is a welcome relief.

BTW, I actually don't have a Lead 2x. I have an Alesis Ion. Folks usually get one or the other, and I had the opportunity to get one cheap, so I did. But I like both and recommend both.

Comment

One more thing: if you decide to go with the NL2x, you'll need some external effects. I use a distortion, analog delay and phaser pedal with mine, and they really make a difference.

Comment

I have a K2500r and the Radias & P08 both play nice it, then again so does my miniD.
                <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1"><font face="Arial Narrow">Prophet 08, Mini D, CS-80, Juno-60, Radias, 2 x JD-990, JP-8080, Fantom X6, Speakeasy Stereo Rackmount Vintage Tube Preamp ...</font></font></div>

Comment

Current thinking: start with the Blofeld then follow with the Nord Lead 2X. The Radias is a bit of jump up in price for me at the moment..maybe later. What's a Mini D?

Comment

What's a Mini D?

Minimoog Model D. A bit redundant, really, since there were no Models A, B, or C. (Though I've heard some contend that the Voyager should be considered a Model E.)

Keys and Pads: Arturia Analog Laboratory 49, Arturia Spark, Korg Kronos 61, Korg nanoPad 2
                    Strings: Carvin Bolt HSS w/ Wilkinson vibrato
                    DAWs: FL Studio 10, Sonar X2 Producer
                    Plugs: Arturia V Collection 3, Crypton Vocaloid 2 Megurine Luka, Korg Legacy Collection, Madrona Labs Aalto, NI Guitar Rig 5, Toontrack Superior Drummer 2.0

Comment

Current thinking: start with the Blofeld then follow with the Nord Lead 2X. The Radias is a bit of jump up in price for me at the moment..maybe later. What's a Mini D?

The Blofeld as far I know is better and more powerful as synth than the Nord Lead 2x, which is limited as I readed here from a guy that programs very good patches IMO:

Nord Lead 2X review (videos at the bottom)

http://jexus.id.uw.edu.pl/syntezatory_prv_pl/clavia_nord_lead_2x.htm

Waldorf Blofeld review (videos at the bottom)

http://jexus.id.uw.edu.pl/syntezatory_prv_pl/waldorf_blofeld.htm

:thu:

Comment

Personally, I like the sound of the Nord Leads better than the Blofeld. The Blofeld is indeed a deeper synth, but the NL is easier to tweak because of the knobs. Blofeld is still very easy to tweak for a synth with only 6 knobs though. It all comes down to preference in the end.

Also, I really don't get the jexus hype. I haven't heard one patch he made that I like..

Comment

I don't know of any workstation that doesn't play well with a Nord Lead 2X. The thing is used from Rap to Jazz. The only genre I haven't seen it used in is country.

The Blofeld is another winner. The feature set makes it a pretty versatile synth. The latest OS greatly improves its' usefulness.
                          https://soundcloud.com/jersey-bloke<br><br>DSI Mopho X4<br>Elektron Analog Four<br>Akai MPC 2500<br>StudioLive 16.0.2 Digital Mixer<br>Allen &amp; Heath Xone VF-1 Analog Stereo Filter<br>Studio One V2.5 Professional Edition<br>Ableton Live 9 Standard

Comment

Personally, I like the sound of the Nord Leads better than the Blofeld. The Blofeld is indeed a deeper synth, but the NL is easier to tweak because of the knobs. Blofeld is still very easy to tweak for a synth with only 6 knobs though. It all comes down to preference in the end.

Also, I really don't get the jexus hype. I haven't heard one patch he made that I like..

Well, if you like the sounds of jexus or not is a matter of tastes, same of the sound of the Blofeld VS the NL2X as you wisely said. What I wanted to show is that Blofeld is a deeper synth, which could be important for a person who look to create his own sounds. I like NL2X BTW :thu:

ps: I read you have a Korg Tr rack. Since I will receive one this week, I wwould like to know: whats your opinion about it?, is it exactly the same than a Trinity Plus in sound quality, for example?, its just for curiosity... if I am disrupting this topic, I am sorry :thu:

Comment

ps: I read you have a Korg Tr rack. Since I will receive one this week, I wwould like to know: whats your opinion about it?, is it exactly the same than a Trinity Plus in sound quality, for example?, its just for curiosity... if I am disrupting this topic, I am sorry :thu:

I just got the Trinity yesterday, but I can say that they sound pretty much the same. I believe the TR-rack has some extra samples in it and has two more soundbanks. Both synths are awesome, but I got the Trinity because of the extra keys (I can always use those) and programability. The TR has very limited editing options and it is a pain to program with that screen.

All in all, they sound awesome. Check synthmania for demos on the TR:

http://synthmania.com/TR-Rack.htm

Comment

Working...
                              X