choosing a synth

mbengs1

• 1 month later...
  • Members

New for $500: Korg Minilogue. I think that's a no brainer. Very capable synth.

And also you can go cheap and get Korg Volca Keys for only $170 and can get some serious sound out of it. You can attach midi keyboard and use it like a normal modular synth.

Personally I have Studiologic Sledge 2 (it's a fantastic instrument, but little over the budget) and Volca Keys. Of course, Volca is not as capable as Sledge, however I can get very decent analog sound out of it, and it's definitely not a toy.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

For material like "Ray's Blues", I think you'd be better off with an 88-key digital piano (that also has other onboard sounds besides acoustic piano) rather than a synthesizer? With a max budget of $500, currently there are the Alesis Recital Pro, the Casio Privia PX-160, the Korg B1, the Yamaha P-45 and a few more models. I'd listen to online demos of those and see if one fits your requirements.

I'd like to get a synth that has enough range to play jazz/blues like dave grusin. i'd like to learn 'ray's blues' again. will a regular roland synth be of use to me? i worry i won't get the range i need.

When you say "range", are you talking about the note range? If so, then get a synth with 76 or 88 keys. There's plenty of them out there - including some from Roland.

If you mean sonic range, or range of different sounds, then again, there's tons of choices available on the market - both new and used. But Ray's Blues is a piano-based tune - any decent digital piano will do - you're not really looking for a "synth" for that. The Alesis Recital Pro would be an excellent, inexpensive choice. So would the Casio Privia PX-160. Or, again, you can look for a ROMpler type synth with a weighted (piano) action 88 keybed. That would give you additional "synth" type sounds in addition to the piano, organ, strings and upright bass type sounds you'll find in the Casio and Alesis digital pianos I mentioned.

Archived