No announcement yet.

choosing a synth

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• choosing a synth

I'd like to get a synth that has enough range to play jazz/blues like dave grusin. i'd like to learn 'ray's blues' again. will a regular roland synth be of use to me? i worry i won't get the range i need.

what's your budget?
    __________________________________________________ _________
    arcadesonfire:
    And even if I were complaining about Democrats in general, I think it's healthy to critique one's own kind
    ______________________________________________ _________
    guido61: Nobody wants to be around No Fun Trump
    __________________________________________________ ______
    Zig al-din: The whole concept of a polite political dialogue is an oxymoron
    _____________________________________________ _________
    ​prolurkerguy: Knee jerk + soap box = injury waiting to happen

Comment

Originally posted by jorhay1 View Post
      what's your budget?
      about 500 dollars.

Comment

For 500, most of these are used: The new ones over 5 can be found used.

Korg TR 88
        Yamaha MO 6
        Korg Kross 2/Korg Kross 88
        Roland JUNO-DS61
        Roland XP-50
        Ensoniq TS12
        Yamaha YPG-535
        Korg 01w-prox
        Korg Triton
        Ensoniq ASR 88
        __________________________________________________ _________
        arcadesonfire:
        And even if I were complaining about Democrats in general, I think it's healthy to critique one's own kind
        ______________________________________________ _________
        guido61: Nobody wants to be around No Fun Trump
        __________________________________________________ ______
        Zig al-din: The whole concept of a polite political dialogue is an oxymoron
        _____________________________________________ _________
        ​prolurkerguy: Knee jerk + soap box = injury waiting to happen

Comment

New for $500: Korg Minilogue. I think that's a no brainer. Very capable synth.
          And also you can go cheap and get Korg Volca Keys for only $170 and can get some serious sound out of it. You can attach midi keyboard and use it like a normal modular synth.
          Personally I have Studiologic Sledge 2 (it's a fantastic instrument, but little over the budget) and Volca Keys. Of course, Volca is not as capable as Sledge, however I can get very decent analog sound out of it, and it's definitely not a toy.

Comment

Honestly, for $500 you may want to get yourself a cheap MIDI keyboard and run some Arturia instruments on a laptop and then build from there.

Comment

For material like "Ray's Blues", I think you'd be better off with an 88-key digital piano (that also has other onboard sounds besides acoustic piano) rather than a synthesizer? With a max budget of $500, currently there are the Alesis Recital Pro, the Casio Privia PX-160, the Korg B1, the Yamaha P-45 and a few more models. I'd listen to online demos of those and see if one fits your requirements.
              SynthMania.com
              SynthManiaYouTube

Comment

Originally posted by mbengs1 View Post
                I'd like to get a synth that has enough range to play jazz/blues like dave grusin. i'd like to learn 'ray's blues' again. will a regular roland synth be of use to me? i worry i won't get the range i need.
                When you say "range", are you talking about the note range? If so, then get a synth with 76 or 88 keys. There's plenty of them out there - including some from Roland.

If you mean sonic range, or range of different sounds, then again, there's tons of choices available on the market - both new and used. But Ray's Blues is a piano-based tune - any decent digital piano will do - you're not really looking for a "synth" for that. The Alesis Recital Pro would be an excellent, inexpensive choice. So would the Casio Privia PX-160. Or, again, you can look for a ROMpler type synth with a weighted (piano) action 88 keybed. That would give you additional "synth" type sounds in addition to the piano, organ, strings and upright bass type sounds you'll find in the Casio and Alesis digital pianos I mentioned.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Working...
                X