Modified Upright Piano sounds like a Grand

Chordite

• Members

Ooh those repulsive strings angry02

I remember you used to have to pop the top for that sound.

...and don't call me Michelle. :angry47:

Cool innovation. I had a cheap spinet with very loose action probably would've benefited from that mod. I'd like to hear somebody play a piano prepared like that. :thu:

• Members

There have been a few attempts in the past at getting the upright's jack to return more like a grand's, which succeeded to varying degrees technically, but not commercially (I'm a semi-retired piano technician). I don't recall now how they functioned, but this system seems simple and effective.

As for getting the hammer to rebound more quickly from the strings, I suspect that any slight gain in this area would be offset by a corresponding loss in momentum as the hammer strikes the strings. IMHO, this could easily have been done by the manufacturers simply by fitting slightly stronger hammer butt springs, if they felt there was anything to be gained.

Regardless, the larger grands still have a substantial edge over verticals in tonal quality, due to factors such as string length (especially in the tenor & bass sections), bridge placement and soundboard area, and that is unlikely to change.

Archived