Moog price drop (?) makes next synth decision even harder. What would you get?

Phil O'Keefe

I noticed Sweetwater has dropped the price of both the Mother 32 and the Minitaur by $100 each, making the Mother 32 a $499 synth, and the Minitaur a $399 synth. :eekphil:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Mother32

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Minitaur

First question - are these permanent price reductions, or just some special that they're running for the holidays? :idk: Are other dealers going to offer similar price reductions? If so, I haven't noticed them doing so yet.

For me personally it makes the decision of what desktop synth module to get next a bit trickier. I wanted to get something I could use for analog style bass (and other things). The dual oscillator Minitaur would be great, if only it didn't have the limited note range. But it also lacks patch points and a sequencer, which is something else I'd like to have onboard - it's not a deal breaker, but the limited note range might be.

I have been considering the (hopefully) soon to be shipping Behringer D Eurorack mini clone. The price is amazing, and I like the fact that it has three oscillators and lots of physical patch points, but not the lack of memory or the lack of any onboard sequencer.

I have also been considering the Roland SE02, which is basically a Mini clone too, but while it's $200 more than the Behringer, it has a sequencer, as well as conforming to the Roland Boutique standard. Since I already have three other Boutique modules (two JX03's and a TB-03), getting a suitable stand for it and fitting it into my existing rig would be easy. But it lacks any significant patch points.

The Mother 32 has that awesome Moog cachet in terms of the name and sound, and it has tons of patch points and a sequencer too, but I'm not sure I'll be happy with a single oscillator synth, and I'm really concerned about the envelope and the lack of a full ASDR - can it even "do" sounds with a long release? :idk:

I can't afford all of them - just one. Which one would you get, and why? And if you know anything about the recent Moog price reductions / Sweetwater's lowered prices, please tell us what you've heard too! :wave:

• Members

The Roland for the reasons you mentioned , sequencer , 3 oscillator and ease of integrating into your existing setup. I have been looking at the D-05 and the Behringer DM-12 but haven't decided yet. I really want the DM-12 but its a bit pricey for me right now.

• Members

that's a mother 32 in my avatar. its a great synth and at this price Im going to buy another one,

yes it can do fairly long releases and if you turn on the sustain switch is the same as shorting the S trig on a mini. what's great about eurorack is that you can add a full ADSR Eg as another module. moog and others sell an empty cases you can fill up with various and sundry utility modules form other manufactures. the mother is not really meant to be a stand alone piece, its a starting point and a great one at that. it provides a complete voice with basic functions that can be expanded upon.

Archived