Recording with Yamaha Motif XS8

Inkheap

• Members

Hey there.

I'm not very well-versed with keys/pianos, and I just got this instrument yesterday. Being a guitar snob, I can understand that some of you will be distasteful of the fact that I am now in possession of such a fine instrument with limited playing ability, but I was interested in it primarily because I write film/video game music and love the authentic patches.

I received a free M-Audio sustain pedal with the purchase, and it sounds great, but the keyboard doesn't seem to be picking it up while I'm recording. The result is a rather {censored}ty/choppy sound on the piano settings. For anyone here familiar with this product, do I need a different sustain pedal? Is there something I need to alter? I turn up the sustain knob on the mixer but it doesn't help that much. Maybe I just suck.

Any help is appreciated.

• Members

Yeah, you're right about on thing. I've been playing keys for 40 years and just sprung for a used Yamaha Motif ES6. So, yes, there is a bad taste in my mouth when I see newbies going straight to the best stuff.

Do you make a living writing film/ game music, or is this just an aspiration of yours?

With that out of my system, here's my two cents: I think that there is something squirrely about the Motif sustain pedal input. I have three different sustain pedals- all of which work fine with my Alesis QS7. Only one works with the Motif. Can't figure it out. One of them doesn't work at all, the other one just acts funny. This has only happened at gigs, so I haven't spent a lot of time troubleshooting.

• Members

I believe that it is a VERY good start, buying the best you can have... if you have the money, of course, and you are really insterested it is a good choice indeed. It is like start with a Play Station 3 instead a 8-bits Nintendo, it is not necessary to buy both if you have talent to learn the stuff. Well, of course the keyboard is harder to learn than playing a video game, but the idea is that you wont need to buy something better after two or five years, as all of we do, because you already have it. BUT maybe you can lose money if you discover that playing keyboard not your talent. Nonetheless, the Motif is always a product that can be sold in the market getting good money for it and it always worth the money if you are/were happy with it.

About the Motif, in fact it is a great piece of gear, but for film music I would pick the Kurzweil PC3 because it has better orchestral sounds.

Reptilian

• Members

Being a guitar snob, I can understand that some of you will be distasteful of the fact that I am now in possession of such a fine instrument with limited playing ability,

If you have the money to buy it no one has the right to slam you for it. More units sold equates to price drops, larger R&D departments, and more variety for everyone. It isn't like you are keeping someone else from owning one too. Congrats on the purchase. They are great keyboards.

• Members

If you have the money to buy it no one has the right to slam you for it. More units sold equates to price drops, larger R&D departments, and more variety for everyone. It isn't like you are keeping someone else from owning one too. Congrats on the purchase. They are great keyboards.

:thu: +1

• Members

Thanks a lot for all of the responses, guys. To the question about my status as a composer, I've written MIDI pieces on Guitar Pro and Finale for freeware games... none of which have seen a release. One of my best friends at Florida State film school is now making feature length Sci-Fi/Horror movies and has asked me to write for one of them since he is dissatisfied with the previous composer (we used to have a band together).

As per the topic, the sustain pedal actually works. The issue is that when I record, I hear the sustain in effect while I'm playing but once I play it back it's not there. I read through the manual and googled. I plan to watch the DVD that came with it later but I somehow doubt it will provide a solution for my specific issue.

I don't just keep my foot on the pedal at all times, but the stuff I'm trying to record is supposed to have an airy fluidity and what I'm getting is choppiness.

Thanks again.

• Members

I'd say whoever sold you the XS didn't do you any favor by giving you something other than a Yamaha Pedal. The XS piano sample supports half-pedaling, and you need a different Yamaha sustain pedal for half pedaling. Example, my ES8 uses an FC4 sustain pedal, the ES8 piano does not support half pedaling. The XS series piano sample does support half pedaling and you should have been advised to get a Yamaha FC3 pedal (dual zones). I would call the dealer and ask them to switch out the pedal they "gave" you for something that actually works. That would be a Yamaha FC3 sustain pedal.

Mike T.

• Members

As per the topic, the sustain pedal actually works. The issue is that when I record, I hear the sustain in effect while I'm playing but once I play it back it's not there.

What DAW / MIDI sequencing program are you using?

It would *seem* possible that the sustain on/off MIDI events are not being recorded into your MIDI file when you're playing/recording.

I use Digital Performer, and have past experience with Cakewalk. Both programs have a MIDI "event" or "list" view/window.

I would open a brand new song, start recording on the track with my XS 8, and simply push the pedal a few times. Then go in and look at the MIDI events on that track - They may show up as MIDI CC #64 (as I recall), with a value of 127 for "on" and 0 for "off." Or, they might show up as "Hold Pedal" or something like that.

If you can record MIDI note data but NOT pedal data, then troubleshooting that issue would highly depend upon what software you're using.

Archived