Learning how to use Moog's new semi-modular synth doesn't have to be a Mother...

Phil O'Keefe

I have one and love it. I use it live.

I've been toying with the idea of getting one... or a Minitaur. But while I like the fact that it has dual oscillators, the Minitaur has got a limited note range - it's pretty much designed just as a bass synth, and while that's a big part of what I'd want to be able to do with it, it's not everything; I don't really like that limitation.

The Mother 32 also has the sequencer, which I think is something that would be fun. It's semi-modular, which is also cool and useful. But it's a single oscillator synth... as fat and as cool as they can sound, from the earliest synths I've owned, I've always gravitated towards dual-oscillator synths over single-oscillator ones. I'm not sure I'd be happy with just one oscillator... and getting a trio of Mother 32's is pretty expensive... :lol:

How are you using yours? What types of sounds are you going for, and how is it working out for you? Are you using the sequencer? Do you have any other modular or Eurorack stuff you're using with it? How about effects?

• Members

I've been toying with the idea of getting one... or a Minitaur. But while I like the fact that it has dual oscillators, the Minitaur has got a limited note range - it's pretty much designed just as a bass synth, and while that's a big part of what I'd want to be able to do with it, it's not everything; I don't really like that limitation.

The Mother 32 also has the sequencer, which I think is something that would be fun. It's semi-modular, which is also cool and useful. But it's a single oscillator synth... as fat and as cool as they can sound, from the earliest synths I've owned, I've always gravitated towards dual-oscillator synths over single-oscillator ones. I'm not sure I'd be happy with just one oscillator... and getting a trio of Mother 32's is pretty expensive... :lol:

How are you using yours? What types of sounds are you going for, and how is it working out for you? Are you using the sequencer? Do you have any other modular or Eurorack stuff you're using with it? How about effects?

right now Im using it for the synth sound in our Wings medley -- band on the run, jet and nineteen hundred and eighty five. I patch the KB out to the mult. from their it goes to LFO rate and filter cut off so that the higher you play the faster the LFO gets and the more open the cutoff gets. I start with a pretty slow LFO rate. I also add a bit of glide. I also patch the Pulsewave out to the audio in jack to get both waves on the mixer knob and then switch the OSC mod source to LFO and destination to pulse width so as the LFO speed goes up in relation to the KB voltage so does the pulse rate all just to add some animation to the sound.

in the medley its layered with a big saw patch on my M3

I don't use the sequences live yet but have plans to add some Floyd to our play list.

I plan on getting a eurorack case and adding additional modules include a lifeforms module from pittsburgh modular as well as other manufactures and possibly another mother.

BTW Since I'm a mini kinda guy I didn't think one oscillator would be all that useful. boy was I mistaken. once you start using the patches you really unlock the synths potential. since the oscillator puts out square and pulse waves at the same time and you can patch the pulse wave to the mixer knob it pretty much like a 2 oscillator synth, you just cant have them set to different octaves.

Archived