A Model D Mini clone... for $299?

Phil O'Keefe

I just found out about it a couple of days ago - for some reason I never got the press release / announcement. :( I'm going to see if I can set up a review of it. I suspect there's going to be a lot of interest in it - especially since they're apparently selling it for $100 less than they originally announced it at ($299 instead of $399). Some say that's in response to the Roland Boutique / Studio Electronics SE-02, which also appears to be a Mini Moog clone, but with a built-in sequencer and multiple memory locations. IIRC, it goes for $499 "street."

• Members
I just found out about it a couple of days ago - for some reason I never got the press release / announcement. :( I'm going to see if I can set up a review of it. I suspect there's going to be a lot of interest in it - especially since they're apparently selling it for $100 less than they originally announced it at ($299 instead of $399). Some say that's in response to the Roland Boutique / Studio Electronics SE-02, which also appears to be a Mini Moog clone, but with a built-in sequencer and multiple memory locations. IIRC, it goes for $499 "street."

That's an outrageously low price -- $299. Even if it only nails ~85% of the true Moog sound, I think it would be a tremendously good deal for most people. On a personal note, though; I've tried and owned a lot of the soft synth/clone/modeled Moogs and none of them can really nail all the sound of my Slim Phatty. YMMV, of course.

Anyways, look forward to your review.

That's an outrageously low price -- $299. Even if it only nails ~85% of the true Moog sound, I think it would be a tremendously good deal for most people. On a personal note, though; I've tried and owned a lot of the soft synth/clone/modeled Moogs and none of them can really nail all the sound of my Slim Phatty. YMMV, of course.

From my understanding, this one is going to be all-analog... I don't think it uses modeling. The Roland SE-02 is all-analog too, even though the rest of the Boutique series uses Roland's ACB modeling.

Question for everyone: Does the lack of memory locations for storing patches bother anyone about the Behringer Model D? The original synth didn't have them either, but a lot of synths do today...

Thank you. I'll reach out to some people today and see if I can set one up.

• Members

At that price it doesn't bother me. Without memory its really a hindrance for live use. But for anyone who wants to learn to do learn synthesis or create a unique sound for their home studio it is an absolute bargain. If you want the bells and whistles you can get the Deep Mind 6 or 12.

At that price it doesn't bother me. Without memory its really a hindrance for live use. But for anyone who wants to learn to do learn synthesis or create a unique sound for their home studio it is an absolute bargain. If you want the bells and whistles you can get the Deep Mind 6 or 12.

Looks like it will also have a fair number of patch points too, so people who may be thinking of later moving into modular and Eurorack setups might want to consider it as a starting point.

• Members

It’s that last 15% that makes it a Mini Moog though. But it will be interesting to see how it sounds for sure.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
might be a good Xmas present for myself

Hopefully they'll start shipping by Christmas - I saw one store that estimated mid-December, while Sweetwater is saying shortly after the first of the year IIRC...

While this is definitely still in the running, I'm torn as to what my next synth module will be, but I think I'm going to start another thread about that...

Archived