need help creating this sound on a synthesizer video included

Syntheside

Hi Ray!

It definitely sounds like a saw (or supersaw - several sawtooth oscillators stacked, and sometimes detuned) waveform, either with PWM or possibly oscillator sync and some chorus.

Creating that GR-20 sound from scratch with a different synth will come down to what synth you have, the tools / capabilities it has, and how skillful you are as a programmer. I'm not the world's best synth programmer; I think the easiest path to getting that sound would be to use whatever you want as the controller and use the GR-20 as the tone module. :) It has a MIDI input, so you can use a keyboard controller, DAW / MIDI sequencer, or any other MIDI guitar controller to drive it... if you've got to have THAT SOUND, that's the easiest and fastest way to nail it.

The sounds in the GR-20 are semi-preset IIRC, with limited user editability, so it would be hard to give you an actual setting by setting idea of how to program the other synth in order to try to make it sound similar to the Roland. You're just going to have to use your ears and do a lot of side by side comparisons as you try various things. For example, listen to the envelope - the attack is pretty fast, so set your attack knob on whatever synth you have accordingly until it matches up. Sustain is also high, release is fairly fast, etc. etc. You may or may not be able to exactly duplicate the original sound, but if you can get close enough to satisfy yourself, then it's mission accomplished. :)

Good luck - and please let me know what you come up with!

• Members
Hi Ray!

It definitely sounds like a saw (or supersaw - several sawtooth oscillators stacked, and sometimes detuned) waveform, either with PWM or possibly oscillator sync and some chorus.

Creating that GR-20 sound from scratch with a different synth will come down to what synth you have, the tools / capabilities it has, and how skillful you are as a programmer. I'm not the world's best synth programmer; I think the easiest path to getting that sound would be to use whatever you want as the controller and use the GR-20 as the tone module. :) It has a MIDI input, so you can use a keyboard controller, DAW / MIDI sequencer, or any other MIDI guitar controller to drive it... if you've got to have THAT SOUND, that's the easiest and fastest way to nail it.

The sounds in the GR-20 are semi-preset IIRC, with limited user editability, so it would be hard to give you an actual setting by setting idea of how to program the other synth in order to try to make it sound similar to the Roland. You're just going to have to use your ears and do a lot of side by side comparisons as you try various things. For example, listen to the envelope - the attack is pretty fast, so set your attack knob on whatever synth you have accordingly until it matches up. Sustain is also high, release is fairly fast, etc. etc. You may or may not be able to exactly duplicate the original sound, but if you can get close enough to satisfy yourself, then it's mission accomplished. :)

Good luck - and please let me know what you come up with!

Thank you so much Phil O'Keefe I will keep that in mind, so the guys at keyboard forums were right it is a sawtooth wave just as they said it was.

When I hear that sound when i play i do notice a hint of a phase.

Archived