Roland XV5080 (help from the users)

Reptilian

• Members

To me the XV-5080 is the absolute pinnacle of Roland's digital synth module line. It's got the slick rich synth pad and brass sounds made famous by the JV1080s, flexible and powerful effects processing, a wide assortment of Rompler waveforms and the ability to host both the SRX and JV80 cards. In comparison to the newer Fantom XR you get a much easier user interface, more audio outs, an extra set of 16 MIDI channels and easier compatibility with Roland's terrific S700 sample library via SCSI. (The Fantom XR does have more ROM waveforms including an improved piano, but you can get a much better version of that piano in an XV5080 with the SRX-11 card.)

As far as whether buying an XV5080 is a good deal that depends on the price. I've seen XV5080s go for well under $500 on ebay which I think is an incredible bargain. See if you can find one with some expansion cards already installed.

• Members

To me the XV-5080 is the absolute pinnacle of Roland's digital synth module line. It's got the slick rich synth pad and brass sounds made famous by the JV1080s, flexible and powerful effects processing, a wide assortment of Rompler waveforms and the ability to host both the SRX and JV80 cards. In comparison to the newer Fantom XR you get a much easier user interface, more audio outs, an extra set of 16 MIDI channels and easier compatibility with Roland's terrific S700 sample library via SCSI. (The Fantom XR does have more ROM waveforms including an improved piano, but you can get a much better version of that piano in an XV5080 with the SRX-11 card.)

As far as whether buying an XV5080 is a good deal that depends on the price. I've seen XV5080s go for well under $500 on ebay which I think is an incredible bargain. See if you can find one with some expansion cards already installed.

Are the SRX cards only compatible with the XV line of sound modules? Is the SRX-11 similar to the SRX-02 (Concert Piano) card?

• Members

Are the SRX cards only compatible with the XV line of sound modules? Is the SRX-11 similar to the SRX-02 (Concert Piano) card?

As shown above the SRX cards are compatible with the XV series, the Fantoms up until the G series and other Roland instruments such as the RD700SX. I think the XV5080 is unique in its ability to host both SRX and JV80 cards. There some interesting JV80 cards (Asia, Hip-hop, Country) that can be very cheap. The good SRX cards seem to hold their value on ebay.

The SRX11 is quite different from the SRX02 in that the SRX-11 sounds like a beautifully recorded Steinway piano and the SRX-02 sounds like ass.

• Members

Strengths are pads and distinctive digital textures. Weaknesses (compared to today's modules) are acoustic and electric pianos, organs, solo woodwinds and brass.

Top of the line in this line of Roland modules is the XV-5080. The 5050 has half the polyphony, more restrictive use of COSMs, and won't take SRJV boards - among other things.

If you can afford it, get the 5080. Many consider it the best Roland tone module ever made. But the 5050 isn't all that far down the ladder and is usually half the price if money is an object (and it usually is).

• Members

Some little pieces showcasing the XV-5050:)

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=2066904
(minus the electric guitar, which is not my work)

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=2013555

3. More
here

4. And
here

5. And
here

Thread
about the JV and XV series.

Great examples and good work!! thanks!!

How about the guitar lead of that module? is it the same Soaring COSM sound of the Juno Stage?

Do you have any expansion card?, What about the brass expansion, is it good enough?. The other option I was looking was the Motif ES rack.

thanks!:thu:

• Members

Thanks Reptilian:)

I never use synthesized electric guitars for the simple reason that they just don't sound like the real thing. It's also very hard to play them on the synth the way a real guitarist does on his instrument [i personally suck at it].

I think the XV-5050 has 1,024 sounds. I will look for that guitar lead you mentioned. I believe I have seen it before but don't really remember playing it.

If you know how to play guitar leads on a synth and would like to "hear yourself" playing that sound, send me a MIDI file and I'll record the audio for you so that you get an idea on how it sounds like at least.

The XV-5050 is actually my brother's. He bought 2 expansion cards for it. But not the one you're seeking unfortunately.

You never heard what ALL the SRX expansion boards sound like? Here they are. But don't blame me if your wife grounds you for 2.1 months for hijacking your joint bank account, lol.

The one you want is the SRX-10 ("Big Brass Ensemble"). It has 100 brass sounds. I don't believe Roland: I think real brass players are playing real brass instruments. You won't believe your ears! lol.

When you go to this link, the SRX-10 is on the right side, 4th one from the top. Click it with your mouse, drag it and drop it into the Fantom X8 expansion slot. Once you do that, you'll be presented with the names of all 100 patches, but only the red ones are playable:)

http://www.rolandus.com/flash/demos/srx/srx_demo.html

xv50501.jpg

xv50502.jpg

• Members

thebinge,

Use this link and try them both. You'll know exactly how they differ. Read the descriptions on the cards, too.

SRX-02 is on the left side, 2nd from the top.

SRX-11 is on the right side, 5th from the top.

Drag them into the Fantom X8 expansion slot and listen to them:)

http://www.rolandus.com/flash/demos/srx/srx_demo.html

Archived