Vox Continental is back

Etienne Rambert

I think the re-issue should be called the Vox In-Continental...where are the reverse colored keys? :mad:

I suspect they'll be along eventually in a special edition. :)

From the link:

First up, the VOX has revived the Continental Keyboard with a brand new model.

The original VOX Continental, a transistor organ that appeared in the 1960s, is a timeless classic amongst musicians. Today, VOX has introduced a completely new keyboard that carries this concept into the present day.

The VOX Continental uses a simple and intuitive interface that allows quick accessibility of every function. The high-quality sound engine section is centred on organ, electric piano, and acoustic piano, and provides a wealth of stage-ready sounds.

In addition, the Continental features a powerful effects section to enhance these sounds, and even analog valve drive powered by Nutube, the cutting-edge vacuum tube. It's an instrument that perfectly fits your live performance requirements for a variety of styles including rock, pop, jazz, and more.

The VOX Continental has a starting price of £1,769 and is available from October 2017.

Sounds interesting, but it also doesn't sound like it's a recreation of the vintage transistor organs. :( Hopefully it will at least do a decent job emulating them. At that price, it's not a cheap keyboard, so hopefully there was room in the design and parts budget to do it right.

Modeled? Sampled? :idk: Probably one or the other considering the EP and acoustic piano that are mentioned in addition to organ, but all they say is "high quality sound engine", which doesn't tell us much. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

And yes, it's pure speculation on my part, but I'm sure a reverse key color limited edition will be along eventually. ;)

I wonder if it comes with the stand?

• Members
Same ole cheezy organ although it sounds real cool with a rotary. First time hearing it that way. Pianos are ok. Dug the demo guys playing.

That old cheesy organ is the point. I love that voice. The merely ok piano patches compliment the Vox experience. If the boards had Kronos or M3 piano patches - it wouldn't be right.

I ****ing hate KORG. But this is an unexpected surprise.

Too bad it costs so much. Where is it made?

• Members

Really? I think Korg has made some pretty cool stuff over the years - in fact, some of their products are classics IMO.

YMMV. :idk:

Check out the Korg M3 touch-screen failure rate. Has Korg ever released a fix or even acknowledged the problem?

The achilles heel of this thing to me, is it's dependent on another crappy Korg touch-screen. I love the Contis. But since Korg makes them - I'll pass.

Why not an iPad/iPhone app as a work-around? Apple has done touch-screens right for years. I understand synth companies are wary of

Apple and future IOS's. But the defective touch-screens on M3's have no

On-board alternative to work-around the problem. An iOS app would

be a perfect temporary fix.

But KORG hasn't even acknowledged the problem exists. But the numbers of affected customers are huge. I own two M3's. One has a defective touch-screen.

I've owned 4 Korg synths since the late 90's. Two had screen problems.

Now the Conti comes along and guess what - you have to rely on

a Korg touch-screen for draw-bar action.

I'll pass.

Check out the Korg M3 touch-screen failure rate. Has Korg ever released a fix or even acknowledged the problem?

I hadn't heard that was an issue, but a quick Google search shows that a lot of people appear to have problems with the touch screen on that. :eek::(

I don't know if they have or haven't acknowledged the problem, but if you say they haven't, I have no reason to doubt you.

That kind of reminds me of Alesis and some of the issues ADATs had - like when you had a stack of three of them locked together... every so often you'd hit rewind and the top and bottom machines (tracks 1-8 and 17-24) would dutifully rewind, while the middle deck (tracks 9-16) would fast-forward for no good reason... and for quite a while, Alesis acted like it was the first time they'd ever heard of the issue whenever I'd bring it up... meanwhile, every other recording engineer who used 3-4 ADATs that I talked to was well-acquainted with the problem...

• Members

Yes. Unfortunately, a lot of users are forced to try it.

Some just sell their M3's w/o disclosing the defect.

No one should even think of buying an M3 without asking about

the touch-panel. Specifically ask - what happens when they

touch the upper right corner. If nothing - don't go near it.

I own two - an M3-88 and an M3m. The M3m screen is defective.

Good workstation if the touch-screen works. I shopped for one last

year. I concluded at least half on the market are defective. It was a huge

problem. No work-around except by laptop using the editor software. And not one word from Korg inc. about the defect.

So now, the new Vox Conti drawbars are dependent on a Korg touch-screen? No thanks. There should be an iPad app to work around it.

Apple knows how to make touch-screens. If Korg weren't the manufacturer, I'd buy the new Conti.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

It is not a "Touch Screen". It is completely different. I have one and I really like it. Both the Continental and the Compact models are done well. The CX-3 emulation sounds good but its implementation is limited it terms certain Hammond features, like Chorus and Vibrato, Key Click, etc. You don't get a choice on the CX-3 emulation. Also the Leslie sounds OK, but there is no way to configure things like ramp up times or speed. The other sounds are OK but I don't really like to play electric or acoustic pianos on a waterfall keyboard so there are some limitations there as well. But at 16 pounds, I will work around these issues. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived