Mick Jagger - Primitive Cool - Throwaway - Synth Sound

gcaseres

It's been so long since I did any FM programming (and I wasn't very good at it), I really couldn't tell you - are you sure they're using an FM synth for the original part? I know it's from '87, so the DX was certainly around then, but so were a lot of other synths.

With an analog synth, you could do something along those lines fairly easily by adjusting the filter... a low pass filter would be what I'd use. Start with it set fairly low so you only get the low frequencies passing through, then open it up slowly... maybe adding a little extra resonance as you go along. There's also a noise component in the sound, or layered with it - I'm not sure if that's being done with the synth patch or separately, but if the synth has a noise source, you could mix that in and out as needed too.

The combination of different elements makes me wonder if it might have been created with a vector synth - it would be easier to pull off with one IMO since there's so many things going on as the note sustains, and vector synths are great for that. I think the Sequential Circuits Prophet VS is a possibility for what created that sound... that keyboard came out in 1986, making it much "newer" and hipper in 1987 than the DX7 and its spinoffs... the DX7 was introduced in 1983... and to me, it sounds a lot more like a VS than a DX.

Arturia has a good Prophet VS app for the iPad called iProphet.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ipro...898449685?mt=8

Here's a good demo video that shows how the joystick can be used to pan between the synth's four oscillators to create evolving timbres like the one on that Mick Jagger track.

[video=youtube;tPRmZ5yFXr4]

And here's a link to a review I did of Arturia's iProphet:

http://www.harmonycentral.com/expert...turia-iprophet

• Members

Thankyou very much for your comments. I will try to investigate about vector synths.

I tried playing with lowpass filter (using Dexed and also using my Korg Ms20), but it lacks something more... maybe its that layered sound... like a oohm voice... but i don't have any information about the original recording, so its difficult to find that kind of sound.

Anyway I appreciate your comments and I'll continue with your suggestions.

Archived