OT: Holy $*it

Mediterranean

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Gribs

View Post

Holy bat-{censored} insane. I can't believe that OSHA rules allow for what the narrator called free climbing.

As much of a pain in the @$$ that OSHA is, Im surprised they even ALLOW this OCCUPATION.... God, they wont let ya put a a roof on a three story building without a strap, but theyll let ya do this????

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Gribs View Post
Holy bat-{censored} insane. I can't believe that OSHA rules allow for what the narrator called free climbing.
I was kinda shocked too when I heard him say that.

My guess: a safety harness would probably put him at more risk [ironic, I know] because he can easily get entangled in it. I mean he's already in deep chit as is. See the toolbox attached to him and dangling below his azz? That's problematic enough.

The man was literally on top of the world at the end of the vid. For those who don't have the notion of what half a kilometer up is, that lamp he reached at the very top is to warn airplanes.

According to the uploader, his monthly salary is around $10,000. Assuming he does that every weekday, that's approximately 500 bucks per climb.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by evildragon View Post
Why no safety gear, that's beyond me. :/
The "no safety gear OMG" part is *slightly* misleading. You can clearly see the rope in parts of the video. They are probably doing a form of two-person rock climbing technique (eg lead climbing).

Not that this changes the eek.gif factor much.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Mediterranean View Post
that lamp he reached at the very top is to warn airplanes.

According to the uploader, his monthly salary is around $10,000. Assuming he does that every weekday, that's approximately 500 bucks per climb.
That's an awesome lot of money just to change a light bulb. facepalm.gif

• Members

When I was in high school (many thousands of years ago, it seems), a friend and I climbed 3/4 of the way up a radio tower. It wasn't as high as the one in the video, but it was high enough to make you check your underwear.

Anyway, the next night, we coaxed two friends to join us in a climb to the top (they didn't believe that we climbed at all). We were almost to the top when a car came into the parking lot flashing the headlights and honking the horn. People got out and were yelling at us, but we were to high too hear what they were saying.

We decided to cancel our quest to the top and climb down, because we figured the people were going to call the police. Once we made it down, the two women that were in the car were swearing at us and asking if we were planning on jumping to end it all. Sure enough, they went inside the building to call the police, so we decided to leave right about then.

As we walked past the driver, (a male, who was calmly leaning against his car smoking his cigarette), he asked us "Hey, how high did you get?" We all laughed and said pretty freakin high! He knew we were just out for jollies... and we got them. biggrin.gif

Archived