Live performance: Different EQs for different patches?

• Members

Hi all-- I'm trying to improve my live sound rig for a 4-piece blues/rock cover band. Between two keyboards, I probably use 7 different patches on a regular basis, and a couple more sprinkled throughout a night. I run this all through a Roland keyboard amp, and in most cases I don't go through the mains. Most of the places we play are small enough that the amp sounds better than the main speakers (or we have no monitors). I've been really trying to dial in my EQ so that I can occupy a different space than the guitar player. At the same time, there's a big difference in the profile of a piano patch vs an organ patch, for example. I'm wondering if it's better to set one EQ for everything, based on balancing out the guitar, or to use something like a MIDI-controlled EQ where I would change the EQ profile based on the patch. I appreciate your input!

• Members

Thanks for the clarification. Sorry to be nit-picky, but I'm pretty green on both live sound and keyboard/synths vs acoustic piano. What this makes me think is that I should try and dial my amp into a space where it doesn't fight the guitar or bass, but that I should also try and shape my individual patches to their respective tones?

ecordings are what really show me part of the problem-- I'm pretty much inaudible in most of our recordings. Even tapes we've got where we play with high level sound crews, it's hard to pick myself out. Here's a recording of Superstition where you can at least hear the keyboards (although, ironically, not see them!).

• Members

This looks like a different band than anything else called Vote For Pedro. Spoof? Sounds like a typical bar gig where nothing jumps out and it's on the muddy side although all of it is audible. Any other examples?

Regardless, you have to develop your own workflow with your rig. This would be especially true if there is no FOH for you.

Archived