So after using soft synths for 10 years, I tried Yamaha Montage (rant)

• Members

Made me realize what BS softsynths are still.

Montage was incredible. Delicate, incredibly clean sounds with so much sparkle and so perfectly polished. I've never, ever heard a softsynth that sounded even 1/10 this good. Omnisphere? Oh please... that garbage needs 150 bands of EQ to make it sound remotely mix-ready.

There's a reason why Montage costs 3 grand. I also tried Casio Kronos next to it. Well, yeah... uhmmm... what a pos. That one can burn in hell.

Reason #1 of why I switched to softsynths is that I can load a sound and it stays the same. No need to play with effects or record to audio. It's always 100% original.

Reason #1 why I don't like softsynths: you have to scroll through hundreds of alike-sounding presets to find something that sounds like something you are looking for. And in the case of Omnisphere, 10 second loading times. You know if you want that metallic drone that sounds like 219 pots rolling down a slide while a coffee grinder is trying to grind down a 2.5" nail... it's a 1.5Gb patch. So please have some patience, it's worth it... oh wait, no it isn't. So there's a lot of scrolling fatique. It gets to you really quick. And there are just no really interesting sounds. 99.9% of sounds are pretty much the same synth variety. You won't find anything remotely close to what you find in a rompler. Roland or one of those whacky Emu.

So it's kind of 1:1 lose-lose/win-win. Ok, there are specialty libraries that you will never replace with a hardware synth, like ethnic libraries, or vocal libraries, but that's about it.

I recently dug out my old songs I made with hardware synths. Night and day difference to stuff I made with softsynths. Yes, they're old. But they're not as bland and generic as what I've been using recently. I miss good ol sounds.

I think I'm going to buy Integra 7 soon.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived