Suggestions for a guitarist who wants to get a synth/keyboard

Robpm9995

• Members

Hey everyone, I'm new to HC and new to the world of synths. My goal is to create original music reminiscent of music from the late 70s and 80s (Prince, Spandau Ballet, Tears For Fears, etc.). I need something that has a lot of patches that would include Pianos, E. Pianos, saws, sines, just something to cover the bases. Unfortunately, my local shop doesnt carry a lot of inventory. I have researched a couple keyboards including the Korg MicroKorg, Roland Jdxi, Yamaha Mx, and Roland Juno DS. I need something durable and suitable for live use, too. I'm trying to stay under $650-$700 and I don't mind secondhand gear. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

• Members

Hi there,

If you're a guitarist, you should totally consider an Arranger Keyboard as oppose to a workstation type of keyboard. Arranger keyboards come with tons of sounds as well as preset based rhythm/accompaniment Styles. They're perfect for song writing as well especially if keyboard is not your primarily instrument. Look up Korg's Pa series as well as Yamaha PSR series.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

If you have a laptop, you could use a DAW (I love MainStage, it's very user friendly) and get a simple MIDI controller like an M-Audio keystation. I find that creating, saving and organizing patches digitally is much easier, though.

Before I went digital though, I used a microkorg, and I loved it.

• 2 months later...
  • Members
Hey everyone' date=' I'm new to HC and new to the world of synths. My goal is to create original music reminiscent of music from the late 70s and 80s (Prince, Spandau Ballet, Tears For Fears, etc.). I need something that has a lot of patches that would include Pianos, E. Pianos, saws, sines, just something to cover the bases. Unfortunately, my local shop doesnt carry a lot of inventory. I have researched a couple keyboards including the Korg MicroKorg, Roland Jdxi, Yamaha Mx, and Roland Juno DS. I need something durable and suitable for live use, too. I'm trying to stay under $650-$700 and I don't mind secondhand gear. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance![/quote']

​Go with the Juno DS61.

​It IS available to YOU right NOW and as everyone knows ROLAND keyboards basically RULED late 70's and most of 80's popular music.

​If you haven't done any serious research, let me help you:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JunoDS61

https://www.roland.com/us/products/juno-ds61/specifications/

​However, if the above seems a bit complicated, you might want to try your luck in locating THIS keyboard, which is also loaded with sounds and would be a WHOLE lot less expensive!

• 7 months later...
  • Members

​Go with the Juno DS61.

That is a good suggestion but only if he doesn't mind the cheapie lightweight "synth action" keys. He might be able to find a DS 88 used in his range.

However I agree that an arranger is probably a better idea for what he's doing.

Archived