Best piano feel: RD2000 vs FA08 vs CP4 vs SV1 vs Artis

bugsbunny

• Members

I am currently looking for a 88 keys keyboard/digital piano and considering the followings:

Roland RD-2000

Roland FA-08

Yamaha CP4

Korg SV-1

Kurzweil Artis

Which of these feel most closely to a real piano in terms of key touch? In the spec or description there are "weighted Progressive Hammer Action", "Fully-weighted Hammer-action", "Real Weighted Hammer Action", etc, and I don't really understand what they mean. Can someone with experience of any of the above model share your experience?

Thanks!

[h=1][/h]

• 1 month later...
  • Members
ya know those clavinovas with great touch? I couldn't find anything close on stage pianos' date=' until I tried Yamaha CP4. Korg's touch is a joke. Kurzweil's touch is outdated[/quote']

I have a PF80 with the old Clavinova action. Having played real pianos as well as Clavinovas and my PF, I gotta say that on a fake piano, I prefer the uniform touch. On an actual grand piano for instance, that so called graded response is secondary to the realism (lol) of real strings responding; and the immediate piano sound. Doesn't happen on samplers where how the samples are crafted count more toward that satisfying feel than response contours.

• Members

I own an FA-08, I use to own an SV-1. The SV-1 has much better action to me. I regret selling it for many reasons. Of what you listed my guess is the CP4 is probably the best one. My FA-08 is a bit sluggish. If I were to purchase something I would most likely go for the Korg Grandstage when it ships. It has the same action as the SV-1 and I really liked that board. To me looking at the specs and the interface its what I would want in an SV-2! That said, I have played the CP4 and that is a very nice stage piano as well. I have no experience with the RD-2000.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

A few years ago I tried the Yamaha CP5 and was blown away by the feel and touch response of the weighted wooden keys - so much so that I had to buy the instrument.

The CP4 has sinced replaced the CP5 and the few times that I have played the CP4 have really impressed me.

I recommend the CP4 for both feel and genuine piano sound.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Yamaha makes a nice weighted action. I have an FA08, it's action isn't the best but it's not bad. Not as good as the S70XS I replaced it with, but I purchased it for the other features it brings to the table for the projects I'm in.

Archived