MIDI to USB cables

pogo97

• Members

I'm trying to simplify connecting my MIDI keys to my computer. Right now I'm using U-control, which does another 80 things I don't need and takes up space. I bought a MIDI to USB cable from a guy on KIJI but it garbles things like note-off and is useless to me.

Can any of you recommend a MIDI to USB cable that gets the job done?

• Members

pogo97,

First off, there is no such thing as a "MIDI to USB cable". What you are asking about is actually a MIDI-USB interface that is built into a cable. Many of the ones being sold are cheap junk. If you must use one of these devices, buy one from an established brand...I have an M-Audio UNO I bought years ago that works fine. Yamaha also made cable interfaces, probably Roland as well.

• Members
pogo97,

First off, there is no such thing as a "MIDI to USB cable". What you are asking about is actually a MIDI-USB interface that is built into a cable. Many of the ones being sold are cheap junk. If you must use one of these devices, buy one from an established brand...I have an M-Audio UNO I bought years ago that works fine. Yamaha also made cable interfaces, probably Roland as well.

I still use larger MIDI interfaces because I need multiple I/O... have you checked Ebay and Amazon? I see them on both all the time. I'd suggest getting one with excellent user feedback and a good return policy in case it doesn't work out for you.

Correct. Run away as fast as you can from MIDI interfaces that don't actually use MIDI cables. MIDI Solutions will have a reasonably-priced box just for you. M-Audio offers some too.

http://www.midisolutions.com/products.htm

http://www.m-audio.com/products/browse/category/usb-audio-and-midi-interfaces

pogo97,

Yes, Roland makes one too.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UMOneMk2?adpos=1o1

And I completely agree - beware of the el cheapo $8 MIDI "cables" you may see online. Best to stick with the name brands who will update the drivers occasionally. Many of the cheap ones just don't work properly. Caveat emptor!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Review of Roland UM-ONE

UMOneMk2-large.jpg

I bought this to replace a U-Control, which does far more than I need and takes up desk space. I was using it only as a MIDI to USB converter.

The UM-One is compact and well-made and does what it must. There's a switch to let you plug the USB into either a computer or iPad. I plugged mine into a computer. Had to install a driver into my Mac, which is a minor nuisance, but normal enough. The activity lights are reassuring and useful when you're getting it up and running. The "in" and "out" labels on the MIDI connectors are the usual embossed on black plastic, which means I need a flashlight to read them. I'll mark the "out" cable with tape and that'll fix it. The cable is (by eye) about three or four feet long.

I tried the UM-One with Pianoteq and Logic using a MIDIBOARD with polyphonic aftertouch enabled. No problems whatever. So I guess it gets a rating of very satisfactory. And only $40 canadian at L&M, which is reasonable.

Archived