Michael Jackson - Loving You (original) instruments?

• Members

Hi! For some it might be obvious, but I'd really like to know what kind of drum machine could have been used in the original version of Michael Jackson's Loving You. I especially like that snare and tom sound, which you can hear in the intro and through out the chorus.

Since this is a song which didn't make it to the Thriller album, I thought it was a Linn which they used a lot on that album. But to me it doesn't even come close to the sound of Linn drums.

P.s. If you know any other instruments they've been using on this song I'd also like to know. Some sounds are kind of DX7ish, especially the bass. Gotta love that out of tune synth intro!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

The drum machine is an Oberheim DMX with custom chips for the toms and snare (Simmons drums). You can tell by the sound of the rimshot and the hi-hat.

The rest is either a Yamaha DX7 or a Yamaha TX816 rack unit (which has 8 FM modules which are each internally the same as a DX7. Since the DX7 was not a multitimbral instrument, musicians would use the TX816 as a multitimbral instrument for DX7 sounds.

Archived