Moog Lust

SoundwaveLove

• Members

I kind of want a MemoryMoog that was serviced by RealMC or OldGearGuy and guaranteed not to give me problems for 10 years at least. I kind of love that CEM + ladder filter sound better than any other Moog sound I've heard. Yeah I know it's blasphemy not to say a Model D sounds better, I know, but I'm a noob and I haven't had the physical experience of owning either, so I pardon my foolish thoughts. It's about the GAS anyway.

So, not much Moog GAS for me, since the above is probably never going to happen. I think I'd rather have a Nova Edition SE-1x with the fast envelopes and the choices of filters, rather than any new Moog.

• Members

So, not much Moog GAS for me, since the above is probably never going to happen. I think I'd rather have a Nova Edition SE-1x with the fast envelopes and the choices of filters, rather than any new Moog.

Envelopes are faster then the voyager?

SE-1X would be sick if not for the sub menus. ALso I heard rumors of steppy sounding filter? Is this no longer an issue?

A used SE-1X could satisfy my lust in the near future.... hmmm....

• Members

Envelopes are faster then the voyager?

SE-1X would be sick if not for the sub menus. ALso I heard rumors of steppy sounding filter? Is this no longer an issue?

A used SE-1X could satisfy my lust in the near future.... hmmm....

The SE-1X is a great sounding synthesizer imo, however, there's something about the front panel of the Moog, turning those knobs and hearing the Moog sound(yes, even the Voyager).:)

• Members

You can make the SE-1X into a "wanna-be Moog" by building a custom keyboard enclosure for it. Take a cheap MIDI keyboard controller, remove it's casing and integrate it into your custom built SE-1X keyboard enclosure with the SE-1X tilted just like the Minimoog. I've seen this done several years ago with an Andromeda A6 on some website. It looked awesome.

Ok, I'll go ahead and admit it. I was always fascinated with the Minimoog and always wanted to own one myself. I just could never really afford one. The front panel is absolutely gorgeous on both the Model D and the new Voyager series. However, they are abit pricey as you already know. The SE-1X is an excellent lead and bass synth and can sound somewhat similar to the Mini (not exactly though). Since it's front panel somewhat resembles the Minimoog, it does somewhat curve my appetite for a Minimoog for a little while. That is, until I can actually afford one!!! What makes the Minimoog front panel so much better in comparison is the fact it's bigger and the knobs are spaced out more, making it less cramped and a little easier to operate. I never even played a Minimoog. Just being able to experience that would be a great pleasure in itself, let along to own one.

• Members

If you wanna moog. You might wanna look into which one is really for you. I've played most of them (not the MemoryMoog, and my time with a Sonic Six was very limited).

My favs.

Model D

MG-1

Micro

honorable mention - Prodigy.

The MicroMoog is my fav hands down. The MG-1 is much more expressive than the Rogue (bell tone!!!). And the Source/Little Phatty is great but makes me just want a Model D. Same with the Prodigy but it just makes me want a Pro-One.

Oddly .. the Source bugs me cause it can't get as low as my other synths. Still, it's an awesome synth. Love the interface actually.

• Members
Moving into the future, I continue to think about the forthcoming Voyager XL. On one hand I want the XL and have no problem affording it. BUT the outrageous price makes me think this funding might be better spent on something else. What do you think? Buy or not? Who else here plans to buy the XL?

If you're looking for the XL features, isn't it cheaper to buy a regular Voyager and the foogers separately?

• Members

It's funny to see the voyager hate from the model D players.

Is the model D really that much better then a voyager?

I've owned a Mini and currently own a Voyager OS. I can't honestly say the Mini was better-sounding. Its architecture was certainly more limited than the Voyager.

To each his own. No right or wrong preferences here...

• Members

I've owned a Mini and currently own a Voyager OS.
I can't honestly say the Mini was better-sounding
. Its architecture was certainly more limited than the Voyager.

To each his own. No right or wrong preferences here...

How much better sounding? I've never played a D, but from the albums I've heard it seems the voyager has a bit of a smoother sound, where the D is more gritty, which I really like, but the presets have me leaning toward the voyager. I already have an XS, no preset analog, and I love it, but I need some more stability if i get another analog, i.e. presets.

Although I think an se-1x could fill that role. It has that "type" of sound, and that type of filter. I think it could do the smooth funky house bass sounds, that the XS really has a bit of trouble with. I think the two would sound great together. Maybe I'll wait until after my album comes out to get a moog.

• Members

If you're looking for the XL features, isn't it cheaper to buy a regular Voyager and the foogers separately?

The Moogerfoogers do not appeal to me at all. They are too expensive for the little they do. I use my Voyager with hardware and software multi effects processors.

The touchpad is one of my favorite features on the Voyager. I would really enjoy having a ribbon controller as I had on the Andromeda. So that is influencing me to buy an XL. On the other hand, from a price/performance viewpoint, I feel the XL is overpriced by $1,000 or more. Consequently, I am thinking about buying an RD-700NX instead and revisiting the idea of getting the XL next year. I don't have time for two new keyboards right now. It might come down to buying whichever is released first. At this time their release dates are anyone's guess, and who knows what quantity will be available?

• Members

I completely agree. Don't buy the Moogerfoogers for a Voyager. The effects are FAR less extreme in tweaking than you'd want, the sound quality is poor, and they are very expensive.

The Voyager is great, the Moogerfooger line... not so much.

I've seperately owned the Phaser, Freqbox, Murf, and Delay ... all for a want to love Moog, but they are nothing like the Voyager in terms of quality.

• Members

THese cheap moogs compare favorably to the more expensive ones?

oh yeah, sometimes surpassing them. I find the MicroMoog much more enjoyable than the Source and even the Model D. I had a friend that sold his Model D cause he just didn't like it as much as his Rogue.

you gotta try a couple of them if possible. All moogs are great and will "pull you in" ... but you gotta find the one the fits you. Price is not the issue, ... when choosing what "sound" you like.

• Members

The Rogue is interesting. But it was a cheaper version of a Moog and didn't have the build quality of the Model D or the Source. Sure, it sounds fine, but over a period of time I owned two Model D's and a Moog Source. I played a Rogue on a number of occasions and it struck me as a Junior partner in the Moog family.

To each his own.

Mike T.

• Members

It's funny to see the voyager hate from the model D players. Is the model D really that much better then a voyager? THese cheap moogs compare favorably to the more expensive ones?

i still own a trilogy of minis- a '74, a '79 and a Voyager OS. to my ears, the Model D is completely superior sonically- i would *never* choose the Voyager over the Model D in the studio. however, for a live instrument the tables certainly favor the reliability of the Voyager.

fwiw, i consider the Prodigy one of the best-sounding monosynths and that's a whole lot easier on the pocketbook.

Archived