Kurzweil PC3 microreview

• Members

In short, it %$^#&* rocks!

I can not understand how these are available at anytime, considering the awesomeness of the sounds and layout concept for the very modest price. They should constantly be sold-out!

They are indispensable for a) gigging musicians and b) soundtrack type music makers.

The orchestral sounds and VA1 engine alone are worth the money, all the rest is a nice bonus (including the very well thought out masterkeyboard functionality).

I am truly amazed at how it is perfect for me! :cool:

I am happy!

• Members

I can not understand how these are available at anytime, considering the awesomeness of the sounds and layout concept for the very modest price. They should constantly be sold-out!

They are indispensable for a) gigging musicians and b) soundtrack type music makers.

The orchestral sounds and VA1 engine alone are worth the money, all the rest is a nice bonus (including the very well thought out masterkeyboard functionality).

I am truly amazed at how it is perfect for me!
:cool:
I am happy!

I agree, but sort of from a different approach.

The keyboard, midi, and control capabilities are worth the price, and the sounds and VA-1 are a nice bonus.

Either way though - it's a winner. :thu:

• Members

Sergiu,

How does the PC3 compare with Omnisphere in fidelity? In particular, do you get aliasing in the high registers when using "romples"? (I believe the VA-1 oscillators are well anti-aliased.) Thanks!

"romples" never exhibit aliasing -- anti-aliasing has already be done when the sample was processed for inclusion in the ROM in the first place. It's like saying your CD player exhibits aliasing.

• Members

"romples" never exhibit aliasing -- anti-aliasing has already be done when the sample was processed for inclusion in the ROM in the first place.

Not true. For example, the interpolation algorithm, that transposes a sample when you play not the same note as it was originally recorded on, can easily introduce a lot of aliasing, depending on how good or bad it's done.

While PC3 in particular doesn't have any aliasing problems with samples, it is not true for all romplers in general.

• Members

Not true. For example, the interpolation algorithm, that transposes a sample when you play not the same note as it was originally recorded on, can easily introduce a lot of aliasing, depending on how good or bad it's done.

While PC3 in particular doesn't have any aliasing problems with samples, it is not true for all romplers in general.

You're right that different algorithms for dropping samples can induce aliasing, I assumed that most other synths use something like the Kurzweil method for transposition since it's relatively easy to implement and works well.

Kurzweil synths (since the K2xxx at least) all "transpose" samples by playing them back at a higher sample rate. Hence there is a ceiling to how much you can transpose an individual sample upwards, but you can always go down as much as you like. This scheme avoids aliasing since you're always playing the same data and not dropping samples.

• Members

Strange, I thought I noticed some distortion on very high notes using samples and even VA1's square wave in PC3K... Perhaps it's not the same thing as aliasing. But it doesn't sound nice.
:D

Strange... Distortion?

I hear no such things, got to try playing very high notes.

Anyway I don't hear any aliasing with the VA oscillators, unless you use the non aliased oscs.

• Members

The reason I am asking, is because this is the typical trade-off between hardware and software. (portability/immediacy versus pristine quality)

Kurz has always had a way to sit beautifully in a mix. They've always had musically responsive orchestral samples. For example the french horns are a no-brainer in any epic sounding moment.

You don't often run into someone who uses a hardware digital synth and omnisphere. Just wondering how the sweet spots are of the two, and if there are any spots (for example high notes) that you would steer the Kurz away from?

• Members

Sergiu,

How does the PC3 compare with Omnisphere in fidelity? In particular, do you get aliasing in the high registers when using "romples"? (I believe the VA-1 oscillators are well anti-aliased.) Thanks!

Actually, Kurzweil documents that some of the smaller block oscillators in the VA ARE aliased. They have larger block versions that are anti-aliased.

• Members

Tusks, to be honest I did not analyze aliasing at extreme frequencies, but to my ears absolutely none whatsoever occurs during play on higher octaves. I was without a hardware synth for a while and I hated it :-)...even if I don't actually NEED one taking into account the music I make and the context of my work, I feel the need for one, and the PC3 is the one, with those gorgeous orchestral textures. I swear the orchestral section is ON PAR with gigabytes large VSTs, especially when mixed with those...

I only recorded one track using the Kurzweil mixed with Omnisphere and some Kontakt library. It is for an Ipad game I am making music for now, and kind of under NDA...not the final version though, possibly it won't even make it to the game in this form, so I will share it so you will hear Omni and PC3 together :-)...what I found I like to do is make a sketch of the track with VSTs and then play live several tracks with the PC3 non sequenced and recorded in Cubase as it is...it makes the track sound more natural.

• Members

I am truly amazed at how it is perfect for me!
:cool:
I am happy!

It's really nice to see a post like this from time to time!

Perfect timing - we're all just about ready to leave the office for the Kurzweil holiday dinner. Everyone here was happy to read your post.

Congrats and enjoy!

Dave Weiser

Kurzweil R&D

• Members

Thank you, Dave...Have great holidays and a well deserved break! :-)

I can hardly wait the 2.0 and the ROM to hit the market, moment in which this instrument will be even greater.

Not that the VAST couldn't keep me busy for ages as it is!...

Sergiu

Mul?umesc ?i La Mul?i Ani!

Archived