Using bus-powered hardware MIDI controllers with iPad apps

Phil O'Keefe

There are some really amazing iPad apps, including some really impressive recreations of vintage synths, and some cool new modern ones too. But playing the onscreen keyboard found in most apps is less than a satisfying musical experience IMHO - at least compared to using a real hardware controller. But iPads are not powerful enough to power most bus-powered controllers - do you have to give up mobility if you want to use such a controller with your iPad while you're out and about?

The answer is no. :)Click here to find out how to do it. :wave:

If you use iPad virtual instruments, what are you using as a controller? Do you usually use the onscreen virtual keyboard, or are you using something else?

Interesting idea. I am not sure I would be in a situation that I would go this route' date=' but its a neat idea... more possibilities is always better. :)[/quote']

Thanks for checking it out Mike! :)

It's not for everyone. If you have a self-powered controller, it's a non-issue and the article will be of little use to you. However, if you have a bus-powered controller, the tips in the article will allow you to use it with your iPad... and for those who like to compose while sitting under a tree at the local park, or while sitting on a beach somewhere, this will allow them to do it, even though there are no nearby AC outlets.

Archived