X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kurz can do FM too.

More than 6 operators, too, if needed. However it's a bit fiddly, admittedly. On the other hand, there WAS a mention of implementing a dedicated FM operator DSP block... it might come in one of future OS updates...

And... about VA-1... did you check out those "Moose Attack!" demos? I got the soundset and it's BRIMMING! I can only say, VA-1 can get you almost anywhere. You can PWM any sample if you want, you can FM them too (granted Fusion can do that too, as well as OASYS and Kronos), however you can freely route what goes where and why (MS-20? Or even more perverse?). It's a powerhouse.

The PWMod alg is non-anti aliased on PC3 though.

The PC3 does have quite a bit more logical interface than Kronos though IMO. The next K if it follows the footsteps could be a real (kronos) killer.

If anyone has some engine demos of what kronos can do post them here.... Also, HOW FAST is the LFO? That has not been settled yet...

Can it do phase modulation too BTW?

Comment

• Can it do phase modulation too BTW?

I'm not sure I understand the question. Do you mean other than VPM?
      Dan Phillips
      Product Manager, Korg R&D

Comment

• Up to 32Hz. (this is in the OASYS manual, btw)

I'm not sure I understand the question. Do you mean other than VPM?

32hz?

That is super fast?

You can't do most any LFO modulated sounds with that. Super fast seems to mean super slow in korg language... In their defense it does go up to "100" Korgean, which is the max value . Anyway this probably means the envelopes are quite slow too, baaaad. Soft synths almost always do up to 200hz, that is where it should be. The more you think about it the worse decision it was to have so many engines.

What I mean by phase modulation is simply the ability for LFO to modulate phase. What is VPM?

Comment

• Korg's name for DX-style FM.

Guess what the "P" and "M" stand for
          "Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.
          Synthesizer Programming Megathread - add your tips & tricks or ask how to recreate sounds!

Comment

• 32hz?

That is super fast?

You can't do most any LFO modulated sounds with that. Super fast seems to mean super slow in korg language... In their defense it does go up to "100" Korgean, which is the max value . Anyway this probably means the envelopes are quite slow too, baaaad. Soft synths almost always do up to 200hz, that is where it should be.

Isn't the definition of LFO "low frequency" oscillator? Once you get over 32 Hz (even lower, really), you're outside "low frequency" and into the audible spectrum. I don't know about the Kronos, but many synths do allow you to modulate one audio oscillator with another, so you can do that kind of modulation that way. But typical "LFO modulated sounds" -- vibratos, pulses, and the like -- are well handled inside of 32 x a second.

Comment

• LFOs on Waldorf Q go to 5000 Hz.... Blofeld's up to some 3500 Hz IIRC...
              If you need a KSP script, e-mail me! Depending on amount of work, the price can be arranged!

Folio: Zero-G - Animato | Sonokinetic - Tigris & Euphrates - Desert Voice - Carousel - Toccata - Voices Of Israel - EMP - FE | Hollow Sun - HSDV Drum Synthesiser - Music Laboratory Machines Series - RMI Electrapiano

Comment

• Isn't the definition of LFO "low frequency" oscillator? Once you get over 32 Hz (even lower, really), you're outside "low frequency" and into the audible spectrum. I don't know about the Kronos, but many synths do allow you to modulate one audio oscillator with another, so you can do that kind of modulation that way. But typical "LFO modulated sounds" -- vibratos, pulses, and the like -- are well handled inside of 32 x a second.

well, I think LFO is defined more as a Modulator oscillator than one that has low frequency.

I don't think Kronos allows you to modulate a signal with a other oscillator.

Pretty much all Phase/frequency/amp modulation sounds that sound good are going to sound much worse without at least over 40hz.

5000hz.... THAT sounds fast (would like to hear that at max speed). Waldorf envelopes are very fast too.

Comment

• Well, on the Q you can use LFOs as additional FM sources. 'snice.

BTW, Kronos allows you to modulate a signal with another oscillator - MOD-7 is exactly that, FM. You can select a multisample for any of the operators, and ringmod, waveshape, do all kinds of nifty stuff to it.
                  If you need a KSP script, e-mail me! Depending on amount of work, the price can be arranged!

Folio: Zero-G - Animato | Sonokinetic - Tigris & Euphrates - Desert Voice - Carousel - Toccata - Voices Of Israel - EMP - FE | Hollow Sun - HSDV Drum Synthesiser - Music Laboratory Machines Series - RMI Electrapiano

Comment

• Well, on the Q you can use LFOs as additional FM sources. 'snice.

BTW, Kronos allows you to modulate a signal with another oscillator - MOD-7 is exactly that, FM. You can select a multisample for any of the operators, and ringmod, waveshape, do all kinds of nifty stuff to it.

Yeah, but if I am not mistaken the other oscillator will be audible, so you can't get the same results, or can you?

Same problem with kurzzz....

It would be cool if some synth had the capability to control the LFO speed with the note being played, even if monophonic....

Comment

• Nope, it doesn't have to be audible, you can turn down the output level of the oscillator to the main output. Did you see how NI FM8 matrix works? That's the same principle in MOD-7, so you can have two oscillators, first goes into second one, second one goes to output, first one doesn't send to output.

You can do the same thing on PC3 - via cascading layers. You can also control the LFO speed with the note being played, too, set MnRate and MxRate to desired values, set RateCt to GKeyNum and that's it. Works even polyphonically...

Comment

• ....You can do the same thing on PC3 - via cascading layers. You can also control the LFO speed with the note being played, too, set MnRate and MxRate to desired values, set RateCt to GKeyNum and that's it. Works even polyphonically...

You're getting the hang of that PC3K8 pretty quick.

Comment

• Nope, it doesn't have to be audible, you can turn down the output level of the oscillator to the main output. Did you see how NI FM8 matrix works? That's the same principle in MOD-7, so you can have two oscillators, first goes into second one, second one goes to output, first one doesn't send to output.

You can do the same thing on PC3 - via cascading layers. You can also control the LFO speed with the note being played, too, set MnRate and MxRate to desired values, set RateCt to GKeyNum and that's it. Works even polyphonically...

So how much is the keytracking in the GkeyNum trick, is it the difference for the entire keyboard?

Anyway... sorry for offtopic, but how would you do the trick with PC3x/K, the problem is, the amplitude must be something when it's going to the other FMed osc or there won't be no sound. Anyway I certainly don't get how you could use the FM same way you can use an LFO.

Comment

• Nope, it doesn't have to be audible...

And this is the problem with 100 people like Thor coming into a thread and bashing a synth they have NO understanding of...

Look, if you've got questions, ASK them... (They sound like this: "Can it do this?")
                            Don't come into the thread trying to sound like an authority when you have NO idea what you're talking about...

Ugh...
                            www.Michael-Blue.com | Facebook | SoundCloud
                            Formerly Korg OASYS 76 #000344, OS 1.3.1, 2GB, EXs1, EXs2, EXs3, STR-1, LAC-1, MOD-7
                            Arturia Laboratory 49 | Maschine | Korg Triton Rack | Korg X3R | E-MU Planet Earth
                            Yamaha DX7 (for sale) | Siel DK80 | Yamaha Upright Piano
                            PreSonus StudioOne Pro | Omnisphere | Trillian | Cinematic Guitars

Comment

• And this is the problem with 100 people like Thor coming into a thread and bashing a synth they have NO understanding of...

Look, if you've got questions, ASK them... (They sound like this: "Can it do this?")
                              Don't come into the thread trying to sound like an authority when you have NO idea what you're talking about...

Ugh...

Did you read my posts?

I pretty many times asked if it's possible

I did say that it is stupid that korg calls their LFO's "Extremely fast", because they are not fast, they are slow Waldorf call their LFOs fast and like ED said, they go up to 6khz.

Anyway you can't modulate phase with the audio osc trick on kronos can you?

ED is this possible on Kurz too, and how would I go about it... For frequency that is?

Comment

• I pretty many times asked if it's possible

Saying "I don't think it does this", or "it doesn't do this" isn't asking if it's possible, it's trying to sound like you know what you're talking about, and clearly you don't.

Look, it's no big deal, just relax and ASK a question if you've got one, instead of making false statements about a synth you don't understand.
                                www.Michael-Blue.com | Facebook | SoundCloud
                                Formerly Korg OASYS 76 #000344, OS 1.3.1, 2GB, EXs1, EXs2, EXs3, STR-1, LAC-1, MOD-7
                                Arturia Laboratory 49 | Maschine | Korg Triton Rack | Korg X3R | E-MU Planet Earth
                                Yamaha DX7 (for sale) | Siel DK80 | Yamaha Upright Piano
                                PreSonus StudioOne Pro | Omnisphere | Trillian | Cinematic Guitars

Comment

Working...
                                X