Will the Korg M1 accept Volume Control msgs via MIDI from outside sequencer?

geddydawg

• Members

Good Morning folks,

I hope I have this question in the correct Thread, if not, I do apologize.

My question....

I've played a Korg M1 for years and honestly thought I knew the programming inside and out, BUT....

I'm using an outside sequencer (Cakewalk9 or Sonar) to access the sounds in the M1. That part is easy enough. I set the Midi channel and assign the correct sound, and we have music.

I also do this with a Roland JV-880, paired up together. I have the M1 set for MIDI 1-8 and the JV-880 for MIDI 9-16.

I understand the way to get access to the sounds in the JV-880 is by setting the correct Controller and Bank number along with the correct sound choice, and poof, we have music.

Now here's the issue.

When using the outside sequencer program (not the one built into the M1), if a volume change is wanted, I can make the volume change in Cakewalk, and that volume change is automatic, real time, in the JV-880. Perfect. But, so far, with the M1...

Ive tried lots and lots of ideas, but nothing working so far. When the sequence from Cakewalk/Sonar is playing into the M1, no matter what volume I set for the Midi channel in Cakewalk, going into the M1, everything always comes out full volume, even if I set the volume to 0 in Cakewalk. I tried adding a volume Controller (7) for the entire sequence range, at "10", but when playing in the M1, still full volume.

I didn't think it would work as the M1 really only uses 1 Bank, but tried Controller/Bank config ideas too, no such luck.

Even with the Roland JV-880 having all 8 MIDI channels set at full volume, the JV-880 accepts Volume control (7) changes, either programmed from the Sequencer/controller, or when changed Live. The M1, not so much.

Am I missing something in the config of the M1? I can manually make the volume changes of the outside sequence from the M1 itself, for each channel one channel at a time, but that concept just doesn't work in a live/stage situation, as each song is different, with different volume needs on a song change, and we all know silence on stage is a bad thing.

Might anyone be able to assist or point me in the right direction with what I am missing in the M1 (M1R) config, to allow the Korg to receive MIDI volume changes from the Cakewalk program?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived