• Members

GOOD KARMA: KARMA-LAB RELEASES SOFTWARE

FOR THE YAMAHA MOTIF XS AND XF

Cross-Platform KARMA Motif Software to Be Released at Winter NAMM 2011

BUENA PARK, Calif. Yamaha and Karma-Lab announces the development and

release of KARMA Motif Software for PC and Mac. This new entry in the renowned

developer

• Members

Won't be out until April or later. Kinda deflates the announcement for me.

Kinda odd really.

I can understand hardware not being available to ship until 3-6 moths down the road, but if the software is ready & working at NAMM, what's the holdup?

:confused:

• Members

Kinda odd really.

I can understand
hardware
not being available to ship until 3-6 moths down the road, but if the software is ready & working at NAMM, what's the holdup?

Easy... They will show only the working features at the demo. Seems a bit of desperation is involved on Yamaha's part. Maybe they just needed SOMETHING to counteract the force that is KRONOS?

• Members

Kinda odd really.

I can understand
hardware
not being available to ship until 3-6 moths down the road, but if the software is ready & working at NAMM, what's the holdup?

Conjecture:

Perhaps due to terms of contract with Korg. The Korg KARMA Workstation was introduced at the 2001 Winter NAMM, and maybe Kay and Korg had an agreement that for 10 years there would be no competition.

Anyone know what month in 2001 the KARMA was initially available to the public?

• Members

So the Motif would have to be connected to a computer running the software for this to fly, right?

Yes.

However, to address Wackawa's post--the M3 (and the Oasys) don't need any external computer to use KARMA features--it's built-in.

The Triton would require a computer connection.

• Members

Seems a bit of desperation is involved on Yamaha's part. Maybe they just needed SOMETHING to counteract the force that is KRONOS?

I'm sure KARMA for Motif XS/XF has been in development for awhile. I doubt Yamaha heard about KRONOS any sooner than the rest of us.

• Members

Perhaps due to terms of contract with Korg. The Korg KARMA Workstation was introduced at the 2001 Winter NAMM, and maybe Kay and Korg had an agreement that for 10 years there would be no competition.

I remember Stephen saying on some forum (Korg or Karma Lab) that Karma was never exclusive to Korg. There already is Karma software for OpenLabs.

The obvious explanation for delay is that Karma software version that they will show at NAMM is probably not final yet (not all features are done, not all bugs are fixed, sound programming is unfinished, etc), after all it's a new version.

• Members

I'm sure KARMA for Motif XS/XF has been in development for awhile. I doubt Yamaha heard about KRONOS any sooner than the rest of us.

I have no doubt it's been in development for a while. I was just suggesting one possible reason why they are showing the software now. Even though, at best, it's not going to be ready for 3 months.

• Members

Yes.

However, to address Wackawa's post--the M3 (and the Oasys)
don't
need any external computer to use KARMA features--it's built-in.

The Triton would require a computer connection.

To expand further.. KARMA is a very deep Generated Effects system. On a simpler side some very basic ARP's would need hook up to a PC to config as it is asking allot of the M3 to have full edit capability...(assuming the preloaded GE's were not always exactly what you wanted). I am not up to date on that latest but I know Mr Kay was a little sad that Korg's hardware was not able to fully exploit editing when the M3 was first released. Some items like drum rolls are easier to programme on other solutions.

KARMA GE's can blow midi to the point it would be difficult to record the information generated. That's good (it can be very complex and deep) and bad (you will not always be able to record midi fully to repeat a performance and tweak timing if your patience and hardware can not handle it). Given some KARMA GE's are made with random generations, repeating an exact performance may be impossible for those types of GE.

KARMA is best edited on a PC for full control.

Having an OASYS or M3 gave a lot of live control over GE's.

It is great the way Korg and Mr Kay worked together to make compatible hardware.

Every synth with a midi connector can benefit from pure KARMA software as I understand it...

There is a learning curve to fully exploit it. The results will not always be to taste if you prefer simpler stuff...

Mr Kay was inspired when he found it a pain to program harp glissando's he knew the world needed something very clever.. the rest is history.. ;)

Archived