Advice please - malfunctioning Ion?

Buuzer

• Members

Long story short, I won an Ion on eBay. It arrived yesterday but I didn't have a chance to try it out until this morning.

The first thing I noticed was that the audio from the main outs was very low, even with the volume turned full up. I then switched to the aux outputs and got no sound at all.

Finally, I went through all the presets and discovered that the pitch wheel didn't work on any of them.

The seller described it as 100% fully functional.

Is there something I'm missing/neglected to try? I've read about the tendency of the substandard output FETs eventually giving out.

Is this unit worth keeping and getting repaired or did I end up with a lemon and should try to get my money back?

• Members

The patches in the ION can be complex (very hidden in the MiniAk and Micron) just make sure the setting are right by going through one patch in detail... but yep I have heard people say they ''fixed'' theirs with new output FET's but I am not sure if these people are just modding as my MiniAK needs the volume cranked up.. quite happy with it and don't see it as a fault.... Some of my factory pathces were very low (possibly to suit velocity key action) so I turn those up... It has 100's of parameters.. give it time before assuming anything...

Good luck what ever happens

• Members

As far as the aux. outs go, you have to assign sounds to be sent there if that's what you want. From the manual:

'...Out Balance

Page: 3

Soft Button: 2

Range: center, 1-100% main, 1-100% aux

Default: center

The Out Balance parameter determines whether the selected Part will be sent to the main output, the aux output, or a definable mix of both. This gives you the capability of isolating a Part in one set of stereo outputs, or even sending each Part in the Setup to a separate, mono output (when used in conjunction with the Pan parameter described on the next page)...'

You should also check the headphone out jack.

As far as the main outs, there were some problems with them, and I think I remember seeing a fix somewhere (maybe at the Yahoo Ion group). :idk:

3 wheels on the Ion. The inside two have to be programmed, but the outside centering pitch wheel should work. If not, it might be a loose connection.

Can't remember if there's a reset procedure for it or not.

• Members

Thanks for your replies Bernard and mildbill. :wave:

After downloading the manual (the seller had the original but forgot to send it) I worked with it and got the pitch wheel to work with the patches. For whatever reason it was set to off on every setup.

Also, the highest the output level on page 3 was set to was 57% (default is 100% according to the manual).

This one's definitely a keeper! :thu:

Now I have to stop reading gear horror stories on the webz and acting like this guy. :facepalm:

Don_Knotts.jpg

• Members

Thanks for your replies Bernard and mildbill.
:wave:

After downloading the manual (the seller had the original but forgot to send it) I worked with it and got the pitch wheel to work with the patches. For whatever reason it was set to off on every setup.

Also, the highest the output level on page 3 was set to was 57% (default is 100% according to the manual).

This one's definitely a keeper!
:thu:

Now I have to stop reading gear horror stories on the webz and acting like this guy.
:facepalm:

Don_Knotts.jpg

Hey man that's great.. so pleased we could help...

Have fun, it is a great synth... I regret not getting an ION years ago.. I came very close...

• Members

Thanks for your replies Bernard and mildbill.
:wave:

After downloading the manual (the seller had the original but forgot to send it)....

:mad:

Gotta have the manual. Especially when you first get a new piece. You can start thinking all kinds of things are wrong with it, when it's just a simple matter of not knowing.

Anyways, glad it's working out for you. The Ion is a fine synth. :thu:

Archived