What is the consensus on the Nord Electro 3?

• Members

seems pretty sweet. im looking for something i can keep in my room. i currently play a hammond M3 organ but the thing is so damn heavy it wont be easy to bring it up a flight of stairs. i checked out some youtube demos of the electro 3 and the organ sounds are pretty sweet. i was looking at the hammond xk 3c also but it is more expensive. plus the nord has some other options i can mess with (piano, vox continental) if i want to.

well?

• Members

I've got a Nord Stage EX and the organ sounds are sweet as, plus the electro 3 is meant to have an even better organ section according to what I've read. If you're into organ's and wurlis etc, Nord really has gotta be the way to go aside from having the orginal thing.

• Members

seems pretty sweet. im looking for something i can keep in my room. i currently play a hammond M3 organ but the thing is so damn heavy it wont be easy to bring it up a flight of stairs. i checked out some youtube demos of the electro 3 and the organ sounds are pretty sweet. i was looking at the hammond xk 3c also but it is more expensive. plus the nord has some other options i can mess with (piano, vox continental) if i want to.

For 15 pounds you can't beat it. For less money, you could get a Hammond XK1, but it weighs twice as much and doesn't have all the other sounds.

• Members

Coming from an Electro 2 owner:

Pros: Better acoustic piano samples, Addition of Dyno-My-Piano Rhodes samples, Mellotron sounds, string sounds. User sample import feature. Organ sounds are better but the difference isn't really that apparent.

Cons: Spongy keyboard feel. Menu interface. Sound selection method not as convenient as NE2.

• Members

if i were to go hammond, i would go xk 3. but the electro 3 caught my eyes because of all its features and the organ sounds. that draw bar thing for the nord is awesome! but for that price i think i can live without it. my hammond wont be going anywhere so i wouldnt mind.

I sat in last week with someone that had that ocean digital unit and it was still not as good as real drawbars, a waste of 300 dollars.

• Members

I sat in last week with someone that had that ocean digital unit and it was still not as good as real drawbars, a waste of 300 dollars.

Why? Was there lag or something when you moved the drawbars? What was wrong with the unit? I was thinking (not too seriously) about getting one though

• 2 months later...
  • Members

yeah, just posted in that thread. i ended up buying the electro 3. i love it, but i probably would have bought the sk1. im starting to dig the piano stuff more than anything. but the hammond b3 on it is pretty amazing. the vox continental setting after playing it more is hardly accurate. ive never played a farfisa but the setting on it sounds pretty cool.

• Members

Coming from an Electro 2 owner:

Menu interface. Sound selection method not as convenient as NE2.

Tell me about it man! That's why I never ''upgraded'' from my NE2.

The fact that you have to ''step through'' patches rather than have 8 quick select buttons per bank is a HUGE step backwards for live performance.

Also, they removed the FX Depth knob. WTF?

• Members

Why? Was there lag or something when you moved the drawbars? What was wrong with the unit? I was thinking (not too seriously) about getting one though

Because it just did not feel right. It was more like faders than drawbars.

• Members

Tell me about it man! That's why I never ''upgraded'' from my NE2.

The fact that you have to ''step through'' patches rather than have 8 quick select buttons per bank is a HUGE step backwards for live performance.

You can add that functionality to an NE2 with a number of add-on devices. But there's no way to add the better organ, better pianos, and sample library to an NE2.

• Members

You could always get the hammond later. the Nord is very flexible. I did not check to see if you got the 61 0r 73 key. That to me makes a difference in mixing and matching boards.

i got the 73 key electro 3. i figured if i was going to toy around with piano stuff then 73 keys would make much more sense than 61.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

For the price and the instruments it emulates (especially if your concentration is on the electro mechanical instruments), its probably the way to go. The piano is also decent on the E3. With the Nord library, you can also load an abundance of decent sounds. Not as good sounding as Kurzweil samples but good enough. Also, can't beat the portability.

Have you checked out the Kurzweil PC3? Best sounding samples in that price range.

• Members

For the price and the instruments it emulates (especially if your concentration is on the electro mechanical instruments), its probably the way to go. The piano is also decent on the E3. With the Nord library, you can also load an abundance of decent sounds. Not as good sounding as Kurzweil samples but good enough. Also, can't be the portability.

Have you checked out the Kurzweil PC3? Best sounding samples in that price range.

Totally agree. But the E3 is warm

• Members

I can't figure out how to hear the downlodable sounds before loading them, but I really like the E3/73 key except for one huge problem: You can't split between organ and piano sounds.

I bought it assuming you could, since we play a lot of blusey stuff where a little keyboard chimes in with organ sounds. Now, I still need second keyboard.

Paul

Archived