Replacement Kurzweil for the K2000

babe

• Members

Hi there , I have a K2000 and am are looking to replace it with another Kurzweil but still like to be able to create my own sounds. Also being in a band I would like to be able to set certain keys so when pressed they play on their own from something I've created.

Any advise would be great

• Members

If you want sample import, you have PC3K8 (hopefully 76 and 61 key models arriving in the following months). It also has support for K-series program loading. It's the best Kurzweil to date, I have it and that's why I'm suggesting you the same. It is not the same as K2000. It's much better.

You have Riffs feature in Setup mode, which can do exactly what you want - play a prerecorded phrase on the press of a key, or a button.

• Members

What's your budget? If you can afford it the PC3K8 offers the best of everything Kurzweil has created. I don't know if you used your own samples with your K2000, but once you get used to samples that don't vanish when the power goes off and no more SCSI nightmares you'll never go back.

If you don't have that much cash look for a used K2500. This is the 76 note follow up to the K2000, and is still a very capable machine. I've seen them sell on ebay for $500. Try to get one that has the RMB P2 piano daughter-board and the Orchestral and Contemporary ROMS. These accessories will make the instrument compatible with most of the great programs that were created for the K2600 series. Purchased separately they will cost you more than the keyboard itself. You might have to ask the seller if they have piano programs in the 770s (RMB-P2), clav and synth programs in the 800s (Contemporary ROM) and orchestral programs in the 900s (Orch ROM). If anyone tries to tell you that their K2500 is worth more because it has the special "KB3" expansion ignore them. With the correct Operating System installed they all have that.

I don't recommend the 88 note K2500Xs because the Fatar keybeds used in those were total crap and you can't even get parts for them anymore. The 76 note actions were much more reliable.

• Members

The K2500 is similar to the K2000 in terms of loading samples into RAM. You get twice as much capacity in a K2500 (128 MB) and as long as you are running OS 2.52 or higher the samples load much faster. The PC3s won't load any samples but have a much better selection of built-in ROM samples. Basically the PC3 gives you everything that was in all the ROM expansions for the K2600 plus a very nice set of orchestral strings.

The PC3K8 is the pinnacle, all the great new features of the PC3 series, the ability to load programs and samples from the K2 series and non volatile sample memory. If you have $3,500 get a PC3K8. If you have $500, get a K2500.

• Members

can you tell me the PC361 if i wanted to create my own sample example me singing - could i do that on the keyboard or have to sample it on the PC then upload it.

Same question for the PC3K8

Thanks for your help guys.

• Members

can you tell me the PC361 if i wanted to create my own sample example me singing - could i do that on the keyboard or have to sample it on the PC then upload it.

Same question for the PC3K8

Thanks for your help guys.

Can't load samples on any PC3 except for the PC3K8. And with the PC3K8, you can load samples in, but I don't think you can sample directly from the keyboard.

I don't see any 'audio in' connectors here :lol:

http://www.kurzweil.com/images/products/208/large/255.jpg

If you like your Kurzweil, and would like to replace it with another Kurzweil, read through the thread again. Lots of good advice there.

Kurzweil will give you some things a lot of other boards don't, like 5 pedal inputs, breath controller input, ribbon input, release velocity, excellent controller capabilities, and so on.

• Members

What's a Sample?

A sample is a digital recording of a sound. In the context of this conversation, the PC3K (like the K2X00 series) can load and play back external wave data -- as opposed to the PC3X, which can only play patches created from its own internal wave ROM (onboard sample set).

However, neither the PC3K nor the PC3X are true samplers, in that neither can record samples from an external source (i.e. through a mic or line input).

• Members

Man oh man, this is great. Now that someone from Kurzweil actually knows what a sample is, just imagine the products they might come up with!

As you consider all this it's important to point out that the lack of a sampling input on the PC3K8 isn't of any real consequence. If you have a computer you most likely have a number of ways to record audio and turn it into a WAV file, which the PC3K8 can easily load. If you don't have a computer there are some nice handheld stereo digital recorders available for way under $200 that will give you amazing stereo WAVs. You're looking for 16 bit 44.1K.

• Members

Man oh man, this is great. Now that someone from Kurzweil actually knows what a sample is, just imagine the products they might come up with!

As you consider all this it's important to point out that the lack of a sampling input on the PC3K8 isn't of any real consequence. If you have a computer you most likely have a number of ways to record audio and turn it into a WAV file, which the PC3K8 can easily load. If you don't have a computer there are some nice handheld stereo digital recorders available for way under $200 that will give you amazing stereo WAVs. You're looking for 16 bit 44.1K.

Sorry for messing with y'all.....

48K would be fine as well.

I just got back from an extended 10 day NAMM trip last night.

After 9 years of attending the show, and always threatening, "next year I'll take a few extra days off after the show to enjoy the nice weather"...... I finally executed that plan! Spent Monday on the beach and Tuesday took my wife to Disney for her birthday.

Flew back to snow, ice and rain in Boston last night..... but it's still good to be back to civilization. :)

We had an epically successful show - got hooked up with a number of young artists - keyboardists for Lady Gaga, Kesha, C-Lo Green, etc.

And of course it was good to hang with old friends like Geoff Downes, Darian Sahanaja (Brian Wilson), Debbie Shair (Heart) and Brian Kehew (Moog Cookbook).

Best of all, was Ellis Hall.....

I pulled him aside later and hassled him for stealing all of my best riffs. :)

• Members

.... Spent Monday on the beach and Tuesday took my wife to Disney for her birthday.

Flew back to snow, ice and rain in Boston last night..... but it's still good to be back to civilization.
:)

:lol:

OK - enough goofing off. Get back to work. :lol:

Please check up on those ribbon controllers - they're currently discussed in the Kronos thread, I've recommended them to a few people, and now they're nowhere in sight. :mad:

Ya - it's always good to get back from a vacation. Even if it was a really good one. :thu:

• Members

Sorry for messing with y'all.....

48K would be fine as well.

I just got back from an extended 10 day NAMM trip last night.

After 9 years of attending the show, and always threatening, "next year I'll take a few extra days off after the show to enjoy the nice weather"...... I finally executed that plan! Spent Monday on the beach and Tuesday took my wife to Disney for her birthday.

Flew back to snow, ice and rain in Boston last night..... but it's still good to be back to civilization.

We had an epically successful show - got hooked up with a number of young artists - keyboardists for Lady Gaga, Kesha, C-Lo Green, etc.

And of course it was good to hang with old friends like Geoff Downes, Darian Sahanaja (Brian Wilson), Debbie Shair (Heart) and Brian Kehew (Moog Cookbook).

Best of all, was Ellis Hall.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmKcjeBq_U4

I pulled him aside later and hassled him for stealing all of my best riffs.

Dave you have not understood how to play this game... vids or didn't happen :mad:... Uh there is one video...:thu:

There is something quite epic waiting for you in the Sonikmatter forums :eek: Good that you took the extra days off (though someone didn't appreciate it).:cool:

Here is a smart link to the vid:

TmKcjeBq_U4

Archived