Synthesizer Recommendations $800-1000

Envelope02

• Members

Hi guys, as you can guess by the title, can you recommend a synthesizer that costs around $800-1000? I do not know much about synthesizers and so I'm leaving the decisions to you to recommend me the best bang for the buck synthesizer in the price range. Hopefully I'll be getting one by next week and so I'll be grateful for any recommendations. However I do have a request, organ and rhodes piano would be great to have. I've been looking at the Gaia SH-01 but I am not sure about it yet.

As a side question, who should I listen to that uses alot of synthesizers? :'D

• Members

What kind of music do you like now and/or would you like to learn to play?

There are many groups and music styles with lots of synthesizers so you will get all sorts of responses. If you have access to streaming audio over the internet, I would check out the Space Station Soma, Groove Salad, and Drone Zone channels at somafm.com

Keyboard-forward (or balanced with guitar) music that I like includes progressive rock groups like Sylvan, IQ, Riverside, Genesis, Ayreon, Lana Lane, Yes, UK, and Kansas.

• Members

However I do have a request, organ and rhodes piano would be great to have. I've been looking at the Gaia SH-01 but I am not sure about it yet.

As a side question, who should I listen to that uses alot of synthesizers? :'D

The Gaia is a "true" synthesizer, which is best for electronic type sounds, and not for emulating "real world" instruments like organs and Rhodes pianos.

Organs and Rhodes pianos are best created by sample-based instruments such as the Yamaha MO6.

Listen to Crystal Method and William Orbit.

• Members

The Gaia is a "true" synthesizer, which is best for electronic type sounds, and not for emulating "real world" instruments like organs and Rhodes pianos.

Organs and Rhodes pianos are best created by sample-based instruments such as the Yamaha MO6.

Listen to Crystal Method and William Orbit.

I wanted rhodes and organ because those are the two sounds I'd most likely use if I were trying to emulate "real world" instruments and so I thought I'd ask if it was possible to have them in a synthesizer/unit, kind of a two birds one stone thing. :'D And thanks for the recommendation on William Orbit, I've always liked Crystal Method.

I know about the Microkorg XL but I don't know if it's the best thing for the money.

• Members

I wanted rhodes and organ because those are the two sounds I'd most likely use if I were trying to emulate "real world" instruments and so I thought I'd ask if it was possible to have them in a synthesizer/unit, kind of a two birds one stone thing. :'D

Yes; but unfortunately all the new options I can think of with a "virtual analog" and Rhodes and organ samples, are out of your price range. The Nord Stage for instance is such a creation, but is pretty pricey.

Many workstations also have virtual analog sections. In the used market, there may be some options in your price range like the Korg Trinity (in some cases you may have to live without the knobs).

The Gaia DOES have a hidden "General MIDI" section. This will include an organ sound and an electric piano sound. I do not know how good it is, given that its a very curious "hidden feature".

There is also computer plugins, if you chose to go that route.

Archived