Omnisphere 1.5 and Omni TR for the iPad

keybdwizrd

• Members

great update

the bitcrush and ratereducer brings a nice lofitouch and the positional granular mod allows for all kinds of cool reverse type effects especially from shorter sounds.

and the orb i a great way to control that sonic mayhem

i agree that the JR demo was a bit underwhelming. the dude needs some black&whites to impress me.

leave the onefinger stuff to the DJs

• Members

I read about this too. Coincidentally, I caved this weekend and got an iPad for me and my family. My kids love it. I have been amazed at the lack of fighting and ability to take turns so far. My four-year old daughter told me that I should buy three iPads so that nobody would fight over them. She is a fount of "good" ideas.

It doesn't look like the new Spectrasonics app is out in the app store yet, though I am definitely interested in getting it. I still haven't purchased the touchAble app yet either. I have iElectribe and iMS-20 and have been playing with them.

JR is certainly making quite a business out of his fame, chops, and interest in technology. I can't say that I blame him. He could benefit from some training in making and giving effective presentations or just let his chops do his talking for him while a professional pitch man does the singing and dancing part of the presentation.

• Members

You know, I have never, ever listened to Dream Theater...are they any good?
:confused:

Hopefully, this won't turn into a Dream Theater love/hate thread. :facepalm:

Personally, I have never been a huge fan, although the technique of the players is remarkable. Rudess and John Petrucci (guitarist) play these unbelievable riffs, often in unison. They're often about speed, playing wickedly fast passages over ridiculous time changes. I have great respect for musicians who have developed this level of technique, through some combination of natural ability and practice.

On the downside, I find their vocals to be mostly cheesy prog rock stuff.

• Members

Hopefully, this won't turn into a Dream Theater love/hate thread.
:facepalm:

Personally, I have never been a huge fan, although the technique of the players is remarkable. Rudess and John Petrucci (guitarist) play these unbelievable riffs, often in unison. They're often about speed, playing wickedly fast passages over ridiculous time changes. I have great respect for musicians who have developed this level of technique, through some combination of natural ability and practice.

On the downside, I find their vocals to be mostly cheesy prog rock stuff.

I agree with that analysis. DT has been pretty inconsistent in terms of putting out CDs that I like consistently, but they have put out a few that I like very much, especially the Live Scenes from New York triple CD.

I would give JR tons of credit for experimenting with, using, and advocating use of new technology in making and performing music. In particular he seems interested in using technology to create real instruments for musicians to use to play and not just robotic machines that play music. I think that the latter is cool from a technical standpoint but it does not interest me musically. For that reason, I passed on going to see Pat Methany when he was in town with his robotic orchestra. I am personally looking forward to using this iPad to play with controlling Omnisphere.

Archived