X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or buy a Receptor and be done with it.

No! Running Windows software on Linux, using WINE, is not the way to go about running VSTs. I don't believe you understand the logistics of how that (doesn't) work.

Comment

I would love to see a whole system working with no bugs. Liontracs just broght out
      the Groove X-R that will run VST over midi to any keyboard with midi looks like.
      They can control up to 10 keyboards all at once and more stuff that it does patching
      outputer to inputs on VST's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hNH8L6aROU

http://corcyraglobal.com/

Comment

ST&G have they started putting something in the water over there?

Comment

let's face it, Roland is getting it's pants handed to them by Korg, Kurzweil, and M-Audio in the workstation game right now. they're going to spend the next year crapping their aforementioned pants and coming up with an immediate competition product but without the help of all that groundwork everyone else has done.

i think it will be like a current Fantom but with a Gaia, V-Synth, and VK-8 built in and with MPC style pads in the far right side of the panel. it will have 4 different displays to accommodate the 4 different and incompatible processors and platforms under the hood (i cite reference code JV-1000), and feature 127 buttons, 9 drawbars, 28 knobs, 4 D-Beams, and a Time Trip pad.

the upper half of the keyboard will be waterfall keys in a similar fashion to a VK-8, but the lower half of the keyboard will be the patented "prone-to-break" weighted action of the RD series. this will may confuse people but trust them they know what they're doing.

preset number 1 will be a piano sound. preset number 2 will be an V-Accordian/D-50 "Digital Native Dance" performance split. preset number 3 will be a 9-layer RPS patch with prog rock drums, synth bass, and organ to show off all of the primary synth engines in the left hand and a right hand split part that uses VariOS tech to sing "RO-LAND FAN-TOM-AS" over top of it in 13/8 time against RPS's native 4/4 metre. preset number 4 will be a piano/string layer.

there will also be a dedicated reverb knob.

I suppose you are making this up
          I live a life of fearless self invention

If you want to see God laugh, don't make any plans

Good is the Enemy of Great

Comment

Well, of course he is. I'm holding out for the Roland Fantom ASS
            Keyboards: Roland Fantom G6 (2); Korg Kronos 61; Muse Receptor VIP; Nord Electro 3; Privia PX-350Guitar Stuff: Route 101 Solimar; Line 6 POD X3 Live, Pocket POD (2)

Comment

I would suggest, modernize MIDI, make it 128 channels standard, revive MIDI as a centerpiece of the composition, and things will be simpler to build a modern workstation. With such processing power as today, it would be a breeze.

Comment

...and feature 127 buttons, 8 drawbars, 28 knobs, 4 D-Beams, and a Time Trip pad.

fify
                Hi Mom!

Comment

But the problem for music manufacturers is that the software-based solutions are sounding better and better (ie, better than the workstations), cheaper and more versatile/upgradeable (ie, you don't have to buy new hardware to get new sounds), and more and more people are turning to "PC instruments" both in the studio and live.
                  Agreed

Comment

fify

Nope. 9, for Hammond.
                    If you need a KSP script, e-mail me! Depending on amount of work, the price can be arranged!

Folio: Zero-G - Animato | Sonokinetic - Tigris & Euphrates - Desert Voice - Carousel - Toccata - Voices Of Israel - EMP - FE | Hollow Sun - HSDV Drum Synthesiser - Music Laboratory Machines Series - RMI Electrapiano

Comment

The whole point of a hardware synth is its consistency, predictability, reliability, negligible latency, and instant recall. Adding VSTs to the mix undermine all of that and would be a bad experience for everyone involved. And worse, it wouldn't sell, because your average MI consumer will look at the price tag and bitch "WHAT! Why would I spend that kind of money when I can just use my laptop and a controller?"

Actually, some will say, "WHAT? I can just buy a $99 controller and get all the free (pirated) software I want online."

Too many keyboards, not enough music.

Comment

if Roland is going to release a workstation version of Jupiter-80 sound engine it's going to have to wait until sales cool ... (Or there's going to be a lot of Jupiter-80 owners bitching about how there's a new, "better" Jupiter available for about the same price ... )

Otherwise, this new workstation is going to have to cost roughly $5,000 since it would need to be positioned above Jupiter-80 if it's going to be adding a bunch of functionality ... and a "real" workstation needs more than four parts so it may require much more DSP ...

Unless of course, the next workstation is a severely cut-down version of Jupiter-80 sound engine ...

Maybe the workstation is dead, though ... How and when Roland responds will do much to answer this question ...

But my guess is we won't be seeing a workstation version for quite some time ... (Something at NAMM 2012 would be a major surprise imo ... )
                        NEW ALBUM RELEASE ... THE END OF TECHNOLOGY ...

http://electrocabaret.bandcamp.com/releases ... Introspective future/retro pop dealing with themes of authoritarianism, apocalypse and alcohol ...

Featuring "Hot Mess," "Hateful Little Rapper," "Ladio GaGa" and "Somewhere in Time."

Comment

if Roland is going to release a workstation version of Jupiter-80 sound engine they will wait until that synth's sales slow ... (Or there's going to be a lot of Jupiter-80 owners bitching about how there's a newer, "better" Jupiter available for about the same price ... ) Unless of course, sales ARE already cool ...

Otherwise, this new workstation is going to have to cost roughly $5,000 since it would need to be positioned above Jupiter-80 if it's going to be adding a bunch of functionality ... And a "real" workstation needs more than four parts so it may require much more DSP ...

Unless of course, the next Roland workstation is a severely cut-down version of Jupiter-80 sound engine ... (not really sure what they could take away that would actually save money or just face with irate Jupiter-80 owners ... )

Maybe the workstation is dead, though ... How and when Roland responds will do much to answer this question ...

But my guess is we won't be seeing a new Roland workstation version for quite some time ... (Something at NAMM 2012 would be a major surprise imo ... I think Roland is waiting to see how Kronos does ... Considering how many other products they make, I don't think they NEED their workstation sales, esp. if they conclude the market is too small for multiple players and esp. ones who blew a lot of customer goodwill with their last half-baked workstation -- that never reached a 2.0 status -- and expensive, proprietary card technology that's currently being unloaded at a fraction of the price ... )
                          NEW ALBUM RELEASE ... THE END OF TECHNOLOGY ...

http://electrocabaret.bandcamp.com/releases ... Introspective future/retro pop dealing with themes of authoritarianism, apocalypse and alcohol ...

Featuring "Hot Mess," "Hateful Little Rapper," "Ladio GaGa" and "Somewhere in Time."

Comment

Yeah, didn't they already release the AS-Synth?

Comment

Actually, some will say, "WHAT? I can just buy a $99 controller and get all the free (pirated) software I want online."

99 dollars for keyboard sounds like a lot.

Not everyone buys ^ kind of luxory keyboard. 20

Comment

99 dollars for keyboard sounds like a lot.

I said a $99 controller.

As in this:

Too many keyboards, not enough music.

Comment

Working...
                                X