I have this gear crisis....advice.

r05c03

• Members

So I have decent analog monos and a Machine Drum and MonoMachine. I have cut way back on the amount synth-ing that I do. I feel pressure to sell my stuff because 1) I need the money 2) I am bothered when I have stuff I do not need. I ned to simplify my life, basically.

So I LOVE the Moog Voyager as a keyboard, but the sound is so so, compared to my Future Retro XS. I even like the Little Phatty sound a little more, just because it is a little rougher. The Little Phatty though is not as good a keyboard, and the XS does not have a keyboard. I want to have one synth besides the Elektron gear...those two items right there are a lot of synth power.

I am already trying to move the Voyager and Little Phatty. I am thinking that I can get a Mopho Keyboard and have a nasty sounding mono synth with a decent keybed. Or should I just keep the FR XS and get a decent midi key board?

Thought?

• Members

That has got to hurt man. I don't think this is a question that anyone can answer for you. The Mopho is a nice little synth, but honestly sound-wise I think that you are trading down from an XS. What you get in return with the Mopho is convenience, keyboard, and patch storage.

• Members

I was going to say Mophokeys because you seem to like analog synths with an aggressive sound. I don't know if that would have enough keys... or how it would compare to the FR XS (if you'd still need both, or if the Mopho would even sound acceptable as a replacement, should you keep just one of them).

If you liked polys you could get something like a Prophet'08 and use that as a controller for everything else, but if not, I guess any controller with nice keys should work (i.e. something like a Novation Nocturn). Though I can't see any controllers with better keys than my Fusion, and these days you can get used Fusions for under 400 dollars... worth it for the keybed alone...

• Members

Yeah, I don't think that the Mopho compares really well with the XS. The XS can get very wild in it's own specific Future Electro type way... I don't own a Mopho, but based on DSI products I've tried I imagine they are apples and oranges.

If a XS makes you smile, you're going to miss it when it's gone.

MIDI controllers are much cheaper than a Voyager. Not sure which ones have a comparable keybed to a Voyager though.

Archived