Crumar Spirit?

• Members

So I just picked one of these up for $500, and it is fairly fantastic... my question is.. I see several listed on Ebay for insane amounts of money.. 4,999 and 3,999 or something like that... has anyone heard of anyone actually paying that much for one of these? It is an absolutely gorgeous synth, and it is easily more flexible than any other mono I have ever used... but 5 grand?

I don't want to sell it, I basically traded an MG1 for it and feel like I got the deal of the century ha.. just curious if anyone knows of any actual recent selling prices for these.

• Members

WTF did you find one for $500??? The Spirit is probably my most wanted synth. I've been hunting them down since 1995. People now ask for way too much for them, so i'll never see one unless i find a steal price like yours. Even if i won the lottery, i probably still wouldn't pay $4000 for one just on principle.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

I'll go you one better. A work buddy of mine GAVE me a Crumar Spirit that had been sitting in its case for 15-20 years, and said I could have it if I could make music with it or use it at a gig. He apparently bought it as a young man with hopes of joining a band--then real life caught up tp him. Anyway, it's mine now and is in pristine condition (even the wierd Crumar case) and been serviced here in Tampa back to spec--tuning, pots cleaned, etc.

Get this..it's number SN-000008. How cool is that?!

Still, I think I may try to find another home for her, so I'm interested in what the going rate/value is as well. I'd be better suited with a Motif XS7 for gigs. In fact, I came very close to doing an even trade for a brand new XS7 a few months back at Guitar Center, but pulled back at the last minute....Saw Waves right, it really is a beautiful board...

• Members

attachment.php?attachmentid=336148&d=130

attachment.php?attachmentid=336149&d=130

attachment.php?attachmentid=336150&d=130

Thought I'd upload some pics of the board my friend gave me -- been busy sampling some of the wonderfully unique sounds this board makes :thu: Sorry I'm not a better photographer!

Anyone have some thoughts on the original question, what is a fair price for gear like this? I'm still not sure about keeping it...

• 2 months later...
  • Members

So I'm headed to Guitar Center again, right after work in a few minutes. Gonna see what the guys will appraise her (my Spirit) for. I might bite the bullet this time and trade her in for new gear.

What an oddly hollow feeling...sigh :-/ ...feels like I'm putting down my old dog....

• Members

So I'm headed to Guitar Center again, right after work in a few minutes. Gonna see what the guys will appraise her (my Spirit) for. I might bite the bullet this time and trade her in for new gear.

What an oddly hollow feeling...sigh :-/ ...feels like I'm putting down my old dog....

Really? Really? GC? They'll offer you $200 for it. :facepalm:

I'll give you $400, double what those retards will offer, and it'll go to someone who will actually APPRECIATE it. They won't even know what it is probably.

Seriously, sell it to someone who will use it. Not ****** Center.

This angers me.

• Members

So it's funny how the GC and SA guys become complete ass hats when they want to buy your gear, instead of sell you theirs.

Can you believe one butt trumpet offered me $75 for the Spirit last night? What a dick. Said they cant resell analog gear because it drifts (like the tuning on my guitar players axe at beach gigs, by the way), no ADC's, DCO's, blah blah blah...really? You think I'm gonna sell you this board for 75$ so you can flip it for..how much? When a Spirit case by itself is on Ebay for $499 right now? Mooooo-ron.

I've been playing keys for the better part of my life (like most of you I'm sure) and prolly have more days behind me than in front. How offensive it is for some low-life guitar player salesdork (no offense out there) to talk to me like I dont know the approx. value of my own gear. 75 bucks? Your mom for $75 maybe.

I'm in sales, and I know you need to make margin to keep the lights on. But I'm good enough to know an educated buyer/seller when I talk to one. And, more importantly, not offend one with ignorant proposals.

I hope those guys see this thread today in researching this synth. In all probability, they will.

Just so you all know, it's not a desperate situation-sale or anything like that. In fact, I bought a new KB last weekend to play with while I travel for songwriting (a Korg MicroStation--asbolutely love it! Especially tied into a loud amp :) ) I honestly feel guilty that the Spirit sits in a dark corner of my house in the case, not being played, like it did for my friend who give it to me. I know it's a matter of time before my little boy finds it, and scratches it--or worse--or the cat makes a scratching post of the case, etc. But I dont want to just give her away either, you know?

Anyway, I hope you're less angry now Acid--sorry to get you stirred up. In the end, I didn't drink the KoolAide.

Thanks for letting me vent--live in the music, friends

• Members

In fact, I came very close to doing an even trade for a brand new XS7 a few months back at Guitar Center, but pulled back at the last minute....Saw Waves right, it really is a beautiful board...

I'm just a bit curious. How did you go from doing an even trade at GC for a brand new XS7 to a $75 offer.:idk:

• Members

So it's funny how the GC and SA guys become complete ass hats when they want to buy your gear, instead of sell you theirs.

Can you believe one butt trumpet offered me $75 for the Spirit last night? What a dick. Said they cant resell analog gear because it drifts (like the tuning on my guitar players axe at beach gigs, by the way), no ADC's, DCO's, blah blah blah...really? You think I'm gonna sell you this board for 75$ so you can flip it for..how much? When a Spirit case by itself is on Ebay for $499 right now? Mooooo-ron.

I've been playing keys for the better part of my life (like most of you I'm sure) and prolly have more days behind me than in front. How offensive it is for some low-life guitar player salesdork (no offense out there) to talk to me like I dont know the approx. value of my own gear. 75 bucks? Your mom for $75 maybe.

I'm in sales, and I know you need to make margin to keep the lights on. But I'm good enough to know an educated buyer/seller when I talk to one. And, more importantly, not offend one with ignorant proposals.

I hope those guys see this thread today in researching this synth. In all probability, they will.

Just so you all know, it's not a desperate situation-sale or anything like that. In fact, I bought a new KB last weekend to play with while I travel for songwriting (a Korg MicroStation--asbolutely love it! Especially tied into a loud amp
:)
) I honestly feel guilty that the Spirit sits in a dark corner of my house in the case, not being played, like it did for my friend who give it to me. I know it's a matter of time before my little boy finds it, and scratches it--or worse--or the cat makes a scratching post of the case, etc. But I dont want to just give her away either, you know?

Anyway, I hope you're less angry now Acid--sorry to get you stirred up. In the end, I didn't drink the KoolAide.

Thanks for letting me vent--live in the music, friends

Wow, that surprises even ME that they offered such a pathetic amount. Bullshit they can't resell analogue gear, they know damn well they can! You really should keep it. Its an awesome synth and not easily found. I've been after one since 1995 =o] But they're just too damn pricey now. Just for shits and giggles, you should e-mail Big City Music and see what they offer =o]

• Members

I'm just a bit curious. How did you go from doing an even trade at GC for a brand new XS7 to a $75 offer.
:idk:

Remember about 4 months back when there were 3 of these things on Ebay? 2 of them sold (I think) and the last one is the one always relisted for $4600 (currently). Anyway, they had their trade-in weekend going on, and I went in to see what I could get as an offer. This was a different store (Tampa instead of Clearwater) and that sales guy was not a scam artist. He explained to me that they will look up recent closed sales on Ebay while they still show up (a week or two after close?) and use that as a metric for what the market will pay for a piece of gear. They will pay 50%-60% of market value and make their margin on the sale of the item. He pulled Ebay up on their cash register, which is also a PC, and the recent Spirit sales were in the $4000+ range. Since the Motif I wanted was around $2700-$2800, he got approval pretty quickly.

This time around, there were no recent sales on record to look at, just the asking price of the last board, which they cant use.

I really think the SamAsh guy was joking with the $75 offer, and prolly had no real idea what he was looking at (although I'm sure he would have gladly taken the board if I agreed).

I think I'm gonna plug her in right now and play a bit...

• Members

ah that makes sense. I'd hate to see that beauty sitting in the keyboard room with all those yahoos poking at this and that, "what's this knob do?" type of thing going on. Half the time the keyboards in the showroom at my local GC look like they've been attacked by an angry mob of 1st graders who've been deprived of their milk, cookies and long needed nap.

If you don't want to go the e-bay route, you could always post an ad here, or over at Vintage Synth Explorer where people know what a great find this is.

Good luck with it.

Also if you're looking at the Motif you might want to just kick it up a notch to the XF, 2G sampling memory, etc. Nova offers a great deal on them.

Archived