The RPM Challenge: Make an Album in a month! (Feb)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

lol Lilie. Imagine the quality of the music of an album made in 28 days! Even Vangelis would suck at it, lol.

I see you mentioned "Casiotone" in your post. Just yesterday I went to the local thrift and found what looks like a rare Casio keyboard [a white one]. I think it's selling for $48 or so. If you're into Casios from the 80s, let me know and I'll get it for you [assuming it's still there of course, lol].

• Members

lol Lilie. Imagine the quality of the music of an album made in 28 days! Even Vangelis would suck at it, lol.

Yeah, it is a long time. :confused:

I'm doing it. I'm excited because this will be my first synthfest RPM LP. I've done it twice and the albums have been guitar/electronic hybrids. This will have some guitar and other instruments too but mostly synths, computery bits, and drum machines. Oh yeah!

• Members

I have something like 40-50 little snippet ideas, some of which fleshed out to well more than a snippet level, recorded on a hand held recorder and currently sitting in my computer. I could easily distill that down to the 10 or so they're asking for. Vocals would be the hard part. My wife is quite particular about her lyrics, as am I, and she's just getting over a case of bronchitis.

We'll see how this goes....... like I said, a handful of near complete tracks or demos would be nice. I do think musicians sometimes need a good kick in the ass to get over their own self doubt and procrastination, myself included.

• Members

Hey Neil Young made an album in a week or two! Granted it's his day job and it probably wasnt one of his best...

The white Casios are usually cool, from the early 80's. If you can find out the model # that would help! kinda poor right now but I'm tempted!

look out for white Hohner keyboards too since they sold rebranded Casios like that. (Think it was only in Germany though)

• Members

Yeah, it is a long time.
:confused:

I'm doing it. I'm excited because this will be my first synthfest RPM LP. I've done it twice and the albums have been guitar/electronic hybrids. This will have some guitar and other instruments too but mostly synths, computery bits, and drum machines. Oh yeah!

yay!

• Members

i'll giv'err a shot

liliththekitten i liek monthofsundays 0 and o1, especially when the drums come in and jewelbox tempo winar

i read an interview with trent and atticus discussing the music behind the social network ost. they consider things moar like magazines now then novels that people actually sit down and read or just flip through.

it will be fun to experiment and see what comes out. i had an two eps planned for winter one chill-out "bristol" stuff and a break core noize project. so far neither has materialized there's just been some 809 over piano and strings.

• Members

i read an interview with trent and atticus discussing the music behind the social network ost. they consider things moar like magazines now then novels that people actually sit down and read or just flip through.

I kind of agree honestly. We're certainly not in the age of the album anymore from the perspective of commerce. We're back to the days of singles. Plus, you know, a little thing called "the record industry" just died.

All in all I really enjoyed the garage-y immediacy of "Ghosts" and "The Slip" from NIN (recorded in two months and a month respectively). That's definitely going to be an inspiration :)

• Members

The Beatle's HELP! was recorded in 11 days.

The Breeders' POD was recorded in 2 weeks.

All of the Robert Johnson recordings were done in 3 days...

At the same time that's a certain type of music, instrumentation, and arrangement, a type that facilitates that outcome. The same is true of The White Stripes and Nirvana. Rock and Folk/Blues formatted bands are more than capable of walking into a studio with some songs they worked out and banging them out in a few hours, as long as they practiced them enough.

• Members

Nirvana's In Utero was also a two-week affair, also on Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time. i didn't know Pod was although it doesn't surprise me given the similar Albini production (love that album, btw).

sounds like a great challenge!

• Members

i heard eric burton and the animals showed up to a studio in the morning between train/busses. arrived in the morning and were done by 11am or something when they had to catch their next ride. thats including load in, mic'ing up, tear down *and* recording their entire debut album.

• Members

i'll giv'err a shot

liliththekitten i liek monthofsundays 0 and o1, especially when the drums come in and jewelbox tempo winar

it will be fun to experiment and see what comes out. i had an two eps planned for winter one chill-out "bristol" stuff and a break core noize project. so far neither has materialized there's just been some 809 over piano and strings.

thx! I really enjoy doing that project. it's not abandoned, just sort of on hold with a bunch more unfinished ideas, just those tracks are a bit more involved than I thought they'd be.

do it! both sound promising.

• Members

At the same time that's a certain type of music, instrumentation, and arrangement, a type that facilitates that outcome. The same is true of The White Stripes and Nirvana. Rock and Folk/Blues formatted bands are more than capable of walking into a studio with some songs they worked out and banging them out in a few hours, as long as they practiced them enough.

Phaedra by Tangerine Dream

December 1973

Kraftwerk 2

September 26

Archived