"Best" value 88 key controller/keyboard with midi capability

tehJESSEH

• Members

Hey guys, I'm pretty sure I posted a similar topic a looooong time ago (like 2 years long time) asking about a 76 key master controller, but now I need something a little different. I just need an 88 key controller/keyboard (with midi) with a good hammer/piano action keybed that I can get used for under $200. I've seen some Casio Privia's go for about that.... is that my only chance? What can I get new for some more? No need for bells and whistles - just looking for a good feeling keybed.

Thanks!

• Members

Well, nobody replied to this yet, so I guess I might as well.

You *might* be able to find an old Roland A-80 used for 200 dollars (which weights like 80 lbs) but they usually go for 300-400, or a used Alesis QS8 which also usually goes for 400.

You won't be able to find anything new. And the Casios you were looking at, probably don't have a MIDI out. You'd need to spend 3 times your budget for a Casio that does have MIDI capabilities.

Your budget it just too low... save up...

• Members

I just bought Yamaha P95 keyboard for exact same purpose. I was only interested in the feel of the keyboard, because I'm plugging it into M3m. In my opinion, the action is much much better then the Casio or Roland controllers. Down side would be the fact that it really is a keyboard only, so there are very limited midi capabilities, and no modulation wheel. I figured that for me it wouldn't be necessary because the m3 has the touch xy screen modulation option. The price for the new p95 is 550, but you could find a used p85 (which is essentially exact same keyboard) for 200-300. It's definitely a worthy option

• Members

the Casios you were looking at, probably don't have a MIDI out.

Most used Casio 88 weighted controllers will have a MIDI out. The cheaper current models don't, they only have USB, but before they started doing that, I think they had MIDI jacks in all of them.

To the OP, is this for live gigging, computer-based recording, or what?

• Members

Thanks for the replies!

I recently saw two of the older Casios go for super cheap in my classifieds, but was mere minutes too late to snatching them... they really were good deals, and I was just wondering what else I should keep my eye out for.

Most used Casio 88 weighted controllers will have a MIDI out. The cheaper current models don't, they only have USB...

Really? What's the purpose for the USB? If it's for controlling, wouldn't that be better than just a midi out/in jack?

And I'm using this in the studio and occasionally for gigs... no need to be super sturdy, and lightweight is better of course. I'll keep my eye out. Let me know if there are any other suggestions!

• Members

What's the purpose for the USB? If it's for controlling, wouldn't that be better than just a midi out/in jack?

And I'm using this in the studio and occasionally for gigs...

USB is another way of sending data between the keyboard and a computer. It can send MIDI as well as other data, in some cases. It's not bad to have USB, but it's bad to have USB *instead* of standard MIDI (as opposed to in addition to it). Unlike standard MIDI jacks, MIDI-over-USB is almost useless without a computer, making it a generally poor choice for live performance purposes (i.e. you can't just connect any old MIDI sound module to your keyboard for a gig). Also, unlike MIDI, which has been compatible with everything for almost 30 years, USB devices often require custom drivers, and you have no assurance that they will work properly with whatever versions of Windows/MacOS versions come along 5 years from now. USB interfaces themselves might be as out of vogue 5 years from now as parallel and serial ports are today. Whatever you get should have real MIDI jacks on it, in order to work well live, and in order to keep working with other equipment years from now.

• Members

His post:"I just need an 88 key controller/keyboard (with midi) with a good hammer/piano action keybed that I can get
used
"

Oh I missed that word used in there... I saw "what can I get new..." right after that and thought he was primarily looking for new. Anyway, you are right.

• Members

If you're talking about the M-Audio Oxygen 88 it says right on their website that it costs USD 749.95 MSRP

looks nice though

I would steer clear of the Oxygen line after this:

[video=youtube;vSIh2vWBL1s]

I had one Oxygen 49 that I returned because of this problem, and the second one did exactly the same thing. These are just not good.

• Members

i use an 18 year old Yamaha Clavinova as my master keyboard (CLP-360). It has a full 88 key piano keyboard and MIDI and pedals. It's ideal. Never misses a beat. (It also has some internal sounds and built-in speakers but I never use them.)

A lot of these babies will have seen domestic use only, so it may be fairly easy to pick a used one up in good condition.

• Members

M-audio is always a crap shoot but it seems a though many products that we have trusted over the years have become that way, won't mention any names but it starts with an R and ends with a D. I do believe that M-audio has one of the a largest pro and non-pro following due to many product doing well and even being revolutionary. Sorry to hear about the Oxygen 49. M-audio really does not need that hype. The sad part is it is there own fault. I guess fix it quick or lose your "we are cheap but pretty good quality status".

• Members

I have decided over the years that it's not really possible to have a truly lightweight weighted keybed that feels good and is also sturdy. The action itself needs some weight to have that believable feel, and then you need a chassis that can hold that action.

So a lightweight keyboard either needs to sacrifice the weightiness of the action, or the sturdiness of the chassis.

Archived