Keyboard Amplifiers

• Members

I was hoping to get information from keyboard players about their sound rigs - how they modify and adapt to the store bought amps or..........is it better to go with a power source/mixer/speakers?

ie Of course if you play organ you would use a Hammond B3organ with a Leslie speaker

If you play a Yammaha/Korg/Nord/Roland keyboard, you would use .........

Also, how do you send sound into the PA soundboard?

Stereo amplification? I'd appreciate any advice.

I'm going to make a large purchase and I want to get as much info as possible.

(Sorry I don't know the correct terminology)

Thanks! CM

• Members

I was hoping to get information from keyboard players about their sound rigs - how they modify and adapt to the store bought amps or..........is it better to go with a power source/mixer/speakers?

ie Of course if you play organ you would use a Hammond B3organ with a Leslie speaker

If you play a Yammaha/Korg/Nord/Roland keyboard, you would use .........

Also, how do you send sound into the PA soundboard?

Stereo amplification? I'd appreciate any advice.

I'm going to make a large purchase and I want to get as much info as possible.

(Sorry I don't know the correct terminology)

Thanks! CM

Stereo sounds much better than mono (well this depends a lot on the place as well - but for me it matters and it prolly makes you play better).

Also keyboard amps are usually overpriced... Many here seem to think motion sound is their favorite, but I have no clue. Just do not even think about getting roland KC-550.

Anyway you probably want relatively flat sounding 2 PA speakers with enough power.

Send the sound to PA mainboard via 2 balanced TRS cables from your mixer, or whatever cable is needed for stereo from your keyboard.

• Members

I have the MotionSound KP-500sn. One point stereo, 500 watts (2 x 250), 2 12" speakers, 50 pounds. Very schleepable, piano sounds good, nice to have 1 box instead of two to deal with, lots of low end. A bit pricey, got mine used. Love it, big warm sound, easy to transport, casters and well placed handles and not too heavy for what it is.

Getting two QSC K10s or 12's is about the same money, is more flexible, but more setup time.

Depending on how many keyboards you have, having a small mixer as well can be helpful, esp. if you want vocals as well with a little reverb.

• Members

After years of using a pair of Roland keyboard amps (first KC300's, then KC350's), I bought a pair of QSC K10's, based largely on advice from this and other keyboard forums.

My Yamaha s90xs sounds 100x better, especially the pianos. Wow.

And I agree, always run in stereo.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm starting to get serious with my organ playing (Korg Cx3) and would like to get some thoughts on the tonal quality of different size speakers (10", 12" and 15") and combo amp vs. head/cabinet set ups. I've notice through researching different amps that a lot of them resemble small bass amps (2x10 w/horn or 1x15 w/horn) could a bass cab with 2x10 and a 15 be used with a different head. Do 10'' and 12'' cover the low range well enough or is a 15'' required to fill the sound out? How much wattage is too little and too high?

• Members

2 K8's don't cut it?

I have a pair of QSC K12's and a pair of QSC K10's - both sound great for keys, the 12's have a little more bottom end but are heavier and bulkier to transport. Have used either pair as kybd. amplification (depending on size of band or venue), also used the 12's as Mains and 10's as stage montors for PA - sounds excellent. :thu:

I have not heard the QSC K8's but my guess is they would just not produce enough air to make them worthwhile for anything more than a solo or maybe a duo gig & if there was any backing tracks or other sequences you'd still have to have a subwoofer, so it's not worth it - get a pair of K12's for that situation and you've got plenty of bass w/out needing a sub. :cool:

Archived