Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Officially I'm still between the Nord Wave and Kronos for a sample manipulation synth, but in reality the Kronos is quickly betaking the lead. It has a more flexible sample manipulation architecture, better effects, and then (obviously) a world of other stuff wrapped up in it. The multi gig sampled piano is particularly enticing. So I voted that I'm getting a Kronos, though I still need to have a hands on test of both the Wave and Kronos.
    Formerly known as sausagefoot.

Comment

. all other workstations or ROMplers which still have compressed samples (yet if you're a Kurzweil fan you won't admit it's not quite there)

Well, there are things that Kurzweil still does better. Setup mode, for example.
      If you need a KSP script, e-mail me! Depending on amount of work, the price can be arranged!

Folio: Zero-G - Animato | Sonokinetic - Tigris & Euphrates - Desert Voice - Carousel - Toccata - Voices Of Israel - EMP - FE | Hollow Sun - HSDV Drum Synthesiser - Music Laboratory Machines Series - RMI Electrapiano

Comment

Well, there are things that Kurzweil still does better. Setup mode, for example.

Well I meant, on the whole. Yes there are some specific things that some workstations will do (like the Fantom G sequencer features, and the Kurz programming mode) that are still better, if you can't live without those then you'd have to stick to these other workstations.
        http://www.reverbnation.com/christianschulze

Comment

Yes. I think the Kronos 88 + Fusion 61 will be the ultimate synth rig.

Edit: And I must say that the Kronos being out there has killed so much GAS. I used to always be looking for a sequencer/drum machine on Ebay or Craigslist, trying to decide if I wanted an EMU PX-7 or an expanded MC-909... I was also looking into getting into a DAW environment instead of my hardware recorder...
          Now since the Kronos does all that in such a nice, integrated package, I don't want any of these things anymore. Especially since my wife says we can budget for one this year

I confess to still being a little confused with your reason to compare with that gear... having said that it all depends on how you were going to use that other gear, it could be that KRONOS does suit you (apart from the synth engines which would suit you any way)... I would think that hard core users of the EMU and MC you mention would not be impressed with the feature set sequencer wise on KRONOS...

Given you are doing linear recording that suits KRONOS as it will certainly do that... Just hope it gives you enough of the other stuff...

To be honest you can't exactly go wrong buying KRONOS any way, cos you will love it no matter what it can do in the sequencer department...

For example, I assume KRONOS will be like other KORGs and not have an external part or two. That is to say if you want to sequence other gear you will have to turn off the internal parts as it will only be one set of 16 channels to use... (KORG experts correct me if I am wrong)..

世界で最高のシンセはmicroKORGにある

Comment

Probably not. I wanted one, but now that I have Komplete 7, I'm satisfied.

Comment

Probably not. I wanted one, but now that I have Komplete 7, I'm satisfied.

You feel Komplete........ ;-)
              世界で最高のシンセはmicroKORGにある

Comment

I confess to still being a little confused with your reason to compare with that gear...

Well it just seems like the Kronos dedicated drum track will do everything I want a drum sequencer to do, plus it's already integrated with the sequencer and all the 9 engines. I think I can make it work pretty well, and I expect an OS update to bring the sequencer to M3 specs - but even if that doesn't happen, like you said, I can do linear sequencing and it doesn't bother me.

Comment

Well it just seems like the Kronos dedicated drum track will do everything I want a drum sequencer to do, plus it's already integrated with the sequencer and all the 9 engines. I think I can make it work pretty well, and I expect an OS update to bring the sequencer to M3 specs - but even if that doesn't happen, like you said, I can do linear sequencing and it doesn't bother me.

Hey Man, sounds like your head is screwed on then.... !!!

If you accept the way it works now you will love it for sure...
                  世界で最高のシンセはmicroKORGにある

Comment

Not in a year or two (unless someone else has something HUGE in their final stages of development already), but maybe in 5...

Right now the Kronos makes obsolete:
                    . pretty much all digital pianos with the possible exception of the V-Piano which is much more expensive. Why even think of buying a CP-1, RD700NX, etc now?...
                    . all other workstations or ROMplers which still have compressed samples (yet if you're a Kurzweil fan you won't admit it's not quite there)
                    . having a Korg CX-3 (which isn't cheap)

When you look at what it packs under the hood, it's so much more than the current competitors, it's a huge step forward.

The piano in the Kronos is way, way better than the Kurz. So it would probably be much better to have a PC361 on top and the Kronos 88 at the bottom.

Eggszactly. I have the Rd700GX1. Confident that the Kronos 1 gig ( or 2 ?) acoustic piano will smoke the RD and every other rompler acoustic piano.
                    I live a life of fearless self invention

If you want to see God laugh, don't make any plans

Good is the Enemy of Great

Comment

Actually, Kronos has two pianos that are over 4 GB in size (so they are the majority of Kronos' 11 GB of sample data). One German (Steinway D), and one Japanese (most likely a Yamaha C7).

The piano in the Kronos is way, way better than the Kurz. So it would probably be much better to have a PC361 on top and the Kronos 88 at the bottom.

Actually, I like PC3's keyboard action much more than RH3 (it is even possible to play some Hammond smears and stuff on it, while on RH3 it's pretty much impossible)... So there... Kronos 61 it is (cheaper, too).
                      If you need a KSP script, e-mail me! Depending on amount of work, the price can be arranged!

Folio: Zero-G - Animato | Sonokinetic - Tigris & Euphrates - Desert Voice - Carousel - Toccata - Voices Of Israel - EMP - FE | Hollow Sun - HSDV Drum Synthesiser - Music Laboratory Machines Series - RMI Electrapiano

Comment

Hey Man, sounds like your head is screwed on then.... !!!

If you accept the way it works now you will love it for sure...

Being how successful I antecipate that the Kronos will be, I am 100% sure that there will be a 2.0 (or Xpanded or whatever) version with even moar goodies

Comment

Actually, Kronos has two pianos that are over 4 GB in size (so they are the majority of Kronos' 11 GB of sample data). One German (Steinway D), and one Japanese (most likely a Yamaha C7).

According to Rich it's over 12Gb of samples, not 11.

And I believe that the Japanese is a C3 which works very well for pop music.

Comment

It will be interesting when people match this against, Roland and Yam's modelled stuff plus Nords stuff... I think it will still come down to personal choice and usage...

Not so much better as different... still a great synth however we spin it...
                            世界で最高のシンセはmicroKORGにある

Comment

Yamaha? Modelled? Nooooooo... CP-1 (if you're thinking about CP-1?) is not modelled at all :P Check this out: http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1374837/Re:%20The%20DP%20BSD%20Project!.html#Post1374837

Comment

According to Rich it's over 12Gb of samples, not 11.

Typo, sorry.

Comment

Working...
                                X