New Electribes?

r05c03

• Members

So the newer line of Electribes. Any one use these as a sequencer for external gear? The manual does not really seem to give to much info on this. Going through gear changes and considering selling the the Monomachine and going for a cheaper device...

• Members

I THEENK old and new are the same except the card storage. I have an old and have not used as sequencer, but I don't think it works WELL for that. I think you can make patterns and have it trigger external gear, but not really record like a real sequencer.... not toally sure, but it doesn't seem well suited for that

• Members

The new one has a few changes besides the card storage

1) rocker power switch

2) new power adapter and no more 4 pin din

3) 1/4" jack for input

And yes you can sequence external gear with them, but it i will still trigger the internal synth. You can't just change the volume of the part, because it will affect the external sound module. IMO there should be a setting for local on/off per part

• Members

The Korg EMX-1 is prolly the one you're thinking of.. I've had a couple people rave about them for sequencing ext gear... and yes, it's much cheaper than a Elektron.

Yep I sequence an Analog Solutions Telemark, Korg Prophecy and E-Mu Ultraproteus with mine (but don't tell anyone) ;).

• Members

i keep reading about knob jitter issues with the electribes. i am under the impression the problem is only with the ESX and EMX models. is this really a prevalent issue and would this issue mean it would make sense to purchase one of these newer SD models if one were to buy a ESX or EMX? and can someone comment on the arepggiator strip? do you use it often? to me, it seems like a main selling point of either machine, but not having access to one it is tough to know how useful it actually is.

• Members

I own both the ESX-1 SD and EMX-1 SD, haven't noticed any knob jitter on either one. The arppegiator is a lot of fun to use, but it wasn't the main selling point for me. Personally I love the motion sequences, they're a very powerful tool.

• Members

Can't each track only sequence mono parts though? I don't want to sequence chords by using up like 4 different parts.

That's what I mean that it doesn't REALLY sequence. I don't think you can PLAY your external instument and have it record the midi in real time and play back your external instrument. At least I can't figure out how to get my ESX to do that, nor is it in the manual. Yes, you can create MONO part step sequences and have it play back external midi like a drum machine, but to me, that is not REALLY sequencing.... even though it is ;) And I could be wrong since I haven't pursued it any further since it seemed too limited for my needs. Maybe it can do exactly that and I'm wrong

• Members

Yeah, that's what I thought. That's definitely worth noting..., it sequences but in the most limited way possible. It's not going to sequence multiple notes(without using multiple tracks) or any other MIDI data besides single notes.

This may well be the case but for on the fly beat programming and jamming of mono synth line work they are incredibly good at what they do and rather immediate.

I've often used mine to control Reason also and it makes programming Redrum, Subtractor and Thor material a lot more fun than just using my controller and mouse.

• Members

Each synth track can sequence only mono parts, but the part can have 'chord memory', which is really more useful than it sounds. But yeah, they were meant to stand alone, not to be controllers. And this may not matter to those making mostly dance music, the the buttons aren't velo sensitive. I sold mine because of that.

• Members

That's what I mean that it doesn't REALLY sequence.

read up on your history. that is _real_ sequencing.

what you're talking about is MIDI tape recording. or something. which is also called sequencing.

however, if one is going to be called "real sequencing" it's going to be what eh ESX does.

Archived