Synapse Audio Dune

Metrosonus

• Members

Extremely nice synth. Keyboard Wizard actually posted a thread about it here in December, but nobody seemed to be interested... And I honestly much prefer the sound of this one over the Virus that I had - I just find it more musically interesting. It's not as simple as it looks - it's got a serious mod matrix and other some very cool features under the hood. I like it a lot. It took me probably a couple of hours of trying it out before I was on the phone recommending it to people, with my ears hurting from playing it too loud through headphones. :)

• Members

Haha, that's EXACTLY how I experienced it! I just went "oh no, THIS is what I've been looking for!! I can't believe it's here!!! OMGOMGOMOMG!!"

To me, it probably has the most pleasing sound of any synth of its kind. I find it very inspiring to play due to it's musicality and friendly, even vibey sound. At first I thought it was just me and my ears (which tend to object to a lot of the out of place frequencies you get with most of the VA stuff out there), but apparently it's not. And it's got enough programming possibilities to keep you excited about it for a loooong time, I think.

• Members

I tried it a few days ago. It sounded great lkie a well designed va but still different in many ways to a virus. Anyways I didn't get far because it was really unstable, crashing logic several times. Maybe I should give it another shot but ace has been moar stable and sounds a little different but pretty great too

• Members

I saw this over at KVR when it came out, but feature-wise it seems to replicate too many of my overloaded stack of software synthesizers. I have to admit that I really like the GUI design. It is very clean, all on one page, and does not have any harsh or odd mix of colors that would make programming an eye test. The design reminds me of LinPlug instruments including Albino 3, but with a better choice of GUI colors.

• Members

It is very clean,
all on one page

Not really, you have a couple of more pages. Still, it's very easy to use and get to grips with. You'll be up and programming sounds in no time, and it's a lot more fun to program this one than some other synths in its category.

• Members

I tried it a few days ago. It sounded great lkie a well designed va but still different in many ways to a virus. Anyways I didn't get far because it was really unstable, crashing logic several times. Maybe I should give it another shot but ace has been moar stable and sounds a little different but pretty great too

I agree that ACE is great - very, very classy sounding synth. It has a bit of a different character, though. So far (I only bought it very recently) I probably like it better for most types of basses, for instance, while Dune does some really nice pads and brassy and, um, semi-brassy stuff. And I just made a metallic DX7-ish lead sound on it that I like (good for pretending that it's 1985 again and that I'm Jan Hammer this time around). Both synths can be more fun than most softies to both play and program IMO (and the price Urs charges for ACE is a joke, to be honest. It is worth a lot more). Dune would perhaps be a better first VA, I think, it's easier to get your head around and can its sonic spectrum is probably bigger. It also doesn't rape your CPU like ACE likes to do.

Archived